Best of 2014 round up.

I have been listening to metal since I was about 5 years old...You kind of discover new bands along The way...
And I read alot of metal magazines and online fanzines to keep myself updated on new releases and such. I am also constantly searching for new bands. I would get bored to only listening to a few bands no matter how good they are.

Do you ever get bored of metal? Ive never seen you post a non-metal song in what are you listening to thread. I listened to metal since i was 11, but somehow i got bored of majority of it. Sometimes when im in a mood i blast some older death metal, and thats about it. I rediscovered Pestilence few days ago.
But it didnt happen just to metal, im slowly losing interest in music overall, feels like it was more enjoyable before. Maybe i just need some new genre to discover, but cba.
meh

[*]Couch Slut – My Life as a Woman
Couch slut, nice choice for a bandname :guh::D How did that spark your interest I wonder?

Anyway, no way I could compile a top 30 or 35, top 10 will be hard, can't really nominate a clear album of the year, so just a list of albums I found noteworthy this year.

- AT THE GATES - At War With Reality (surprisingly strong comeback album, great great album)
- BLAUDZUN - Promises of No Man's Land (Dutch singer/songwriter, was always curious about his stuff, but this new album just hits the spot, really good)
- AGALLOCH - The Serpent and The Sphere (another band I was always curious about, but every time I tried their stuff, I was disappointed.. until this new album, very strong album)
- OFERMOD - Serpents' Dance EP (new EP, 2 new songs, both very strong, just like the Thaumiel album)
- STENCH - Venture (good, cool Death Metal with some Tribulation guys in the line-up, like this a lot more than the last Tribulation album)

Then I discovered some albums from past years that I thoroughly enjoyed:
- DEMONICAL - Darkness Unbound (Swedish old school Death Metal done right, if not utterly perfect. Perfect sound, killer songs, flawless performance, all you could wish for really..)
- WOODS OF YPRES - Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light (decided to try them out after reading about them for years but just never getting around to listening to them, the opener Lightning & Snow blew me away, phenomenal song, the rest of the album is a bit up and down, but there's some other enjoyable moments/songs)

So, in the end, surprisingly little music from 2014 got under my skin actually..

"Top 35 non-metal full lengths:

Opeth – Pale Communion "

lQDcu.jpg

What do you mean its not metal, you kids dont know what metal is anymore

Do you ever get bored of metal? Ive never seen you post a non-metal song in what are you listening to thread. I listened to metal since i was 11, but somehow i got bored of majority of it. Sometimes when im in a mood i blast some older death metal, and thats about it. I rediscovered Pestilence few days ago.
But it didnt happen just to metal, im slowly losing interest in music overall, feels like it was more enjoyable before. Maybe i just need some new genre to discover, but cba.
meh

No, I love metal. I love music in general and enjoy other styles like rock, blues, jazz etc too but metal is the soundtrack of my life. It is such a big part of who I am and I will be a metalhead for life....Man that sounded cheesy as fuck but it is still true! :lol:

You guys made me try new Agalloch.
Musically, its great, but vocals, as always, fuckin suck. Shame, because if not for them Agalloch would be in my top liked bands.

No, I love metal. I love music in general and enjoy other styles like rock, blues, jazz etc too but metal is the soundtrack of my life. It is such a big part of who I am and I will be a metalhead for life....Man that sounded cheesy as fuck but it is still true! :lol:
I always thought I would lose interest towards my 30s and 'grow up' or 'become adult', but that has meanwhile proved to be nonsense :) 38 and still banging my head like crazy to brutal death and black metal, still not the slightest sign of waning interest in extreme music, I'm still looking for new extreme and dark bands when I have the time and still get a major kick out of it. My taste is still 'broad' I would say, I like to think of myself as open-minded. Yet it's still mostly extreme music that I enjoy.

I always thought I would lose interest towards my 30s and 'grow up' or 'become adult', but that has meanwhile proved to be nonsense :) 38 and still banging my head like crazy to brutal death and black metal, still not the slightest sign of waning interest in extreme music, I'm still looking for new extreme and dark bands when I have the time and still get a major kick out of it. My taste is still 'broad' I would say, I like to think of myself as open-minded. Yet it's still mostly extreme music that I enjoy.

Metal has no age limit...many of my favourite bands way back from the time I was a little kid like Judas Priest, Maiden, Motörhead, Manowar etc are older than my dad so I have never cared about the age thing...it is a none question basically!

"Top 35 non-metal full lengths:

Opeth – Pale Communion "

lQDcu.jpg

What do you mean its not metal, you kids dont know what metal is anymore

:lol:
I don't think Mike would call the new Opeth metal my any stretch of the imagination. Everyone took that remark so personally, but I think he was merely stating he isn't really jiving with metal anymore.

The new Agalloch is their weakest, in my opinion.

"Out through the doors of starvation. And into the rains of damnation" metl as fuck, okay?

meh

That's kinda how I feel as well, I can't listen to metal 24/7 even though the music is great. I just kind of burn out, but then start listening again after a month or something like that

I got bored of pure death metal, power metal and folk metal.
I need black or death with actual melody or it gets too fucking boring for me nowadays. I could use more bands like old Opeth now, but I cant seem to find any good.

It also affected my own songs, I thought i had them completed and ready to record but again started to change a lot of things, adding another instruments and shit. I will never complete the album at this rate or ruin the material completely eventualy.

Gerd derm cheaters. If I were to include favorite discoveries from previous years...this would be endless.

Couch slut, nice choice for a bandname :guh::D How did that spark your interest I wonder?

Haha...if you think the name is racy, you should see the cover art. Anyway, I found them through Blake from Pig Destroyer; he has a column on the Decibel blog and put up a quick review sometime in September.

It's an interesting release – a bit of noise rock, a bit metal, a bit punk. The vocals are (as you can imagine) so, so angry. I'm really curious where they will go next.

:err: