Best opening Maiden song...

spideyjg

Bass Gear Geek
Nov 14, 2005
What was the song used in the best opening of a Maiden concert?

For this old timer it was on the Piece of Mind tour they opened with Where Eagles Dare.
Perhaps it is due to my being 19 and a total Maiden freak and my first IM show.
Picture this, a open air theatre in Wisconsin, the lights go down and lights flash about on the stage. They flash up at the drum riser where you see these arms come up, sticks in hand, down they come banging out the opening riff. Stage was still totally dark BTW.
Right on the last beat the rest of the stage illuminates as Steve, Adrian, and Dave come out from behind the speaker wall at full throttle. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Awesome! I saw other tours but no song worked as well as that one did. Aces High was pretty good but nothing topped WED.

Jim

As much as I don't even really like the song and can't stand the album its on, I liked Be Quick or Be Dead a lot as an opener. But I gotta say Aces High really gets the place going ape shit

well they all do rule...where eagles dare is an amazing on...but, so is caught somewhere in time, and moonchild, and aces high, and wicker man, and wildest dreams...you get my point.

i find it impossible to choose cos maiden are my absolute favorite everything...but id probably choose somewhere in time or moonchild if i had to.

Aces High is an incredibly challenging song to sing. As an opener, it simply confirms that Bruce is a god!

Can I ask for that one along with Infinite Dreams when y'all come back to San Diego?

The fact you can do Bruce's vocals as well as you do is no small feat either.:worship:
Like I said in the other thread I prefer your renditions of Aces and Wasted.

Jim

spideyjg said:
Can I ask for that one along with Infinite Dreams when y'all come back to San Diego?

The fact you can do Bruce's vocals as well as you do is no small feat either.:worship:
Like I said in the other thread I prefer your renditions of Aces and Wasted.

Jim

:oops: TY Jim! :D
I'm glad you liked the backing vox. I had fun singing the parts. It took me 2 days to work out the parts for Aces! That Martin Birch! He mixes so seamlessly and is so creative in the way he leveled things out that it was hard to tell sometimes which were vocal parts and which were guitar bits when listening to the original recordings.

No-Mercy said:
well they all do rule...where eagles dare is an amazing on...but, so is caught somewhere in time, and moonchild, and aces high, and wicker man, and wildest dreams...you get my point.

Hee hee, we were going to open with Wildest Dreams for Aja's debut show, but ended up going with BQOBD. :Spin:

Probably favorite opening is Be Quick or Be Dead, because it just a kickstart song.

But not the Ozzfest tour, but when they toured with Motorhead and Dio, they came out to NOTB, which was interesting. Lights go down, and all of a sudden whoa to you, sends the beast with wrath, etc.

Also it is so funny when you go to shows, and everybody is in line waiting and then people that know the little cues that start things. I mean when I went to Ozzfest, everything was doing there thing, and all of a sudden UFO's Doctor Doctor comes on and i jump up, i get all these crazy looks when that happened, one other person i saw do the same thing we knew that is there start.

Sorry about the rant, just trying to free my mind some.

PS where are my flyers at?

It's gotta be Aces High, I think that's the consensus. Honorable mention to Ides of March/Wrathchild, Moonchild, and Be Quick or Be Dead.

I'm with homes on Aja's version of Wasted Years. She really makes that song her own, one feels like she wrote in when hearing her perform it!

peterp said:
Also it is so funny when you go to shows, and everybody is in line waiting and then people that know the little cues that start things. I mean when I went to Ozzfest, everything was doing there thing, and all of a sudden UFO's Doctor Doctor comes on and i jump up, i get all these crazy looks when that happened, one other person i saw do the same thing we knew that is there start.

hahaha.... that reminds me of a time when I went to a Fight concert. Halford was playing Fight stuff (90's), Priest stuff (80's), and really old Priest stuff (70's). Most of the fans were young so when he played 80's & 90's material, all the fans were into it. But everytime he'd play something from old Priest (like Beyond the Realms of Death, or Sinner, or ...) the youngs fans weren't familiar with the song and they just sat there motionless. But I was on top of my chair jumpin up and down and noticing the only other ones doing that (and there weren't many) were these old farts, some with long balding hair. I had to laugh my ass off at that whole seen. It was just so frekkin funny, all the while knowing that I'm one of those old farts too....

Best opening song...hmmm...that's a tough one. Guess it depends on how I feel at that moment. Too many great songs that would work as an opener. WED definitely kicks ass. Trooper and Aces would be cool too. I've always liked the Ides of March intro followed by Wrathchild as an opener too.

For a large, outdoor concert, Aces High is definitely the way to go. For small, indoor clubs, I like the tone that Ides of March/Wratchild sets. It just feels in place at a bar/club setting, with a song like Aces High following along a bit later. That's just me, does anyone else get what I'm talking about?

For me it's a tie between Aces (very dramatic with the Churchill speech) and NOTB, which is how they opened in Sacramento on the last show of the "Give Me 'ed Till I'm Dead" 2003 tour. Very cool with the huge lights showing "the number". Also one of my favorite songs.