Best Opeth songs to convert someone over..??

Jan 7, 2007
sun
I am thinking Drapery Falls, but then again that may scare the shit out of em at around the 5 minute point :erk:

any suggestions

You're gonna scare the shit outta them no matter what song you choose...unless you choose a song from Damnation or one of their other acoustic songs. But then that wouldnt really give them a good idea of what Opeth really sounds like. Maybe try Face Of Melinda. It has that heavy section at the end without the harsh vocals.

I usually have them download

The Drapery falls, Ghost of perdition, and In my time of need. three songs are catchy, and have just about all the opeth elements to get a beginner into opeth.

I think thats changes from person to person... if the person is into guitar, play him something technical or instrumental like patterns in the ivy. if his into drums, play him some double basses(masters worked great on me! lol :)).
also, see if hes into metal or not... playing TDF to a guy whos used to the beatles... see what im getting at?

Drapery. You have to give them a taste of the whole Opeth spectrum. By the time the growls come in, they will already be digging it, so I think they will be able to accept it more than if you gave them something like Demon of the Fall where it's just brutality from the beginning.

Going w/ HARVEST
a dude at work that is a very narrow minded jam band hippie phish lovin prick
even loves harvest.After that i burned him damnation and its all over from there.Now he loves all 70's prog because of damnation.I feel that ive done my good deed for 07' now.I cannot believe i converted a hippie to opeth!!

Going w/ HARVEST
a dude at work that is a very narrow minded jam band hippie phish lovin prick
even loves harvest.After that i burned him damnation and its all over from there.Now he loves all 70's prog because of damnation.I feel that ive done my good deed for 07' now.I cannot believe i converted a hippie to opeth!!

Congratulations, but does he like the heavy stuff?

im working on that
in meantime he's trying to convert me to "string cheese incident"
i responded:"i only eat it and w/ a rediculously piss-poor name like that...i wont even give it a chance"

im working on that
in meantime he's trying to convert me to "string cheese incident"
i responded:"i only eat it and w/ a rediculously piss-poor name like that...i wont even give it a chance"

I actually went to a SCI show with a friend who wanted me to check it out. It was ok as I remember (it was like 10 yrs ago now) but I had a good time. Jam band stuff and the crowd was really into it.

Why do you think he should listen to your music if you won't even give his music a chance? :headscratch:

You're gonna scare the shit outta them no matter what song you choose...unless you choose a song from Damnation or one of their other acoustic songs. But then that wouldnt really give them a good idea of what Opeth really sounds like.

That's a very wrong thing to say. Opeth sound like damnation, and their acoustic songs, and they also sound like the heavier stuff. It's both opeth, not that the heavy is opeth and mellow is just a little somthing

I actually went to a SCI show with a friend who wanted me to check it out. It was ok as I remember (it was like 10 yrs ago now) but I had a good time. Jam band stuff and the crowd was really into it.

Why do you think he should listen to your music if you won't even give his music a chance? :headscratch:
I was just making fun of the name but they suck regardless.
No dude...im VERY open minded compared to him. He got me into YES,Pink floyd(full blown), STS9(they are trance psychedelic jam band...pretty cool)
matisyahu, etc etc
i can listen to violator by depeche mode one minute...than carcass the next

you need someone to get you into Pink Floyd!? and i thnought im messed up! :) lol
good thing youre on the darkside now (huh! double meaning :))

you need someone to get you into Pink Floyd!? and i thnought im messed up! :) lol
good thing youre on the darkside now (huh! double meaning :))
misinterpretations....
well for some reason i only owned dark side,wish you, and the wall
he burned me meddle w/ echoes and i was just amazed.
then live at pompeii and i was just blown away by that dvd.
Before i hated the early floyd stuff and now i love it