Best passive replacements for EMGs?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Bought some EMGs for my SLSMG but can't install them without modding the guitar because of the stock input jack which isn't replaceable with the EMG stereo jack. I can throw the EMGs in another guitar so it's no big deal since I don't want to go through any modding or other pains in my ass trying to get the electronics to fit in this guitar but I've been out of the passive game for so long that I don't know what I'm looking for.

Was thinking APCs or Bareknuckles, anyone got any suggestions? Was going to be an 81 in the bridge of this guitar so something that will get me in that territory would be rad.

Can you get a stereo jack of the same style and use that? Seems odd that it would be impossible to fit EMG's....

FWIW - I've been told that the Seymour Duncan pickup closest to an 81 would be the Full Shred. Haven't had much experience with that myself though...

-Steve

I'm loving the sh-15

though I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to use EMGs in your JAckson.
what type of jack is in there now?

It's this plastic jack that is fed through from the outside with the nut securing it from the inside, opposite to every other jack I've ever seen on a guitar. No jackplate or anything on that outside. Jackson make SLSMGs now with active EMGs and they are using the same style of jack so it must be available but I've never seen one anywhere.

I can't use the regular EMG stereo jack because I can't feed it through from the inside of the guitar and the nut/washer would have nothing to hold onto on the outside of the guitar anyways since the stock one is secured from the other end of the jack INSIDE the cavity.

Does it look like this would work?

Flush-mount_Output_Jack_Detail.jpg

Available from Stewart MacDonald.

I think you can still rewire it so you don't need the stereo jack. AFAIK EMGs only need the stereo jack so the pickups aren't powered when the guitar's unplugged. You could always put a push/pull on one of the pots to cut power instead.

I don't know if this will help, but I made a song with an 81 in an SLSMG and one with a Dimarzio Deactivator in a Cort Guitar. The Deactivator is Dimarzio's passive solution to the EMG81. I used the same Revalver preset I believe, but the EQing may be slightly different. Also the song with the 81 is tuned to C with 11s and the Deactivator one is drop D with 10s.

81 http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7589103
Deactivator http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7512920

I think Dimarzio D Activators sound very similar to an 81...maybe a bit more snap and high end to them though. They sound great in Mahogany as far as I know, and haven't heard much about them in other body woods.

If you want something like the 85, I found the DiMarzioSuper Distortion can get close if you tweak it right. The Super D's a bit hotter, looser and less compressed, tho.

I just replaced the 81/85s in my Les Paul with a set of Nailbombs and I'm extremely happy with the results... distortion is still great but has a slightly different midrange character, and my cleans rule now

The stock jack on the slsmg's is stereo anyway! I was going to order one ($12usd) but pickedup a multimeter and checked it out. Worked for my blackout install anyways, no dead battery yet.

I switched the passive dimarzios on my XPT700 to EMG 81/85 and did not have to change the jack. And yes it was exactly the same jack shown in the pic (the stewmac jack). Most jacks can be wired in stereo for EMG's.

Just check how many legs it has. I'm 90% sure it would work.

The stock jack on the slsmg's is stereo anyway! I was going to order one ($12usd) but pickedup a multimeter and checked it out. Worked for my blackout install anyways, no dead battery yet.

I never thought to check this, even the old school model that shipped with HZs instead of active EMGs has a stereo jack? If so that is absolutely gold Jerry, GOLD!!