DIY Install EMG 81 in Jackson SLSMG

Maybe some of you guys would know this.

Is there a benifit from using audio taper instead of linear? I have passives.

That has to do with how the resistance changes as you go up and down the range. 'Audio' means a logarithmic curve as you go from top-to-bottom or vice versa. 'Linear' means that setting the pot to 50% of the max rotation will get you 50% of the max resistance (on a 500k pot, this would be 250k), 80% will give you 80%, et cetera. You would not consider a linear volume pot to be intuitive or 'natural' sounding, as your perception of volume is also logarithmic, so for volume pots you want an audio taper.

Jeff

That has to do with how the resistance changes as you go up and down the range. 'Audio' means a logarithmic curve as you go from top-to-bottom or vice versa. 'Linear' means that setting the pot to 50% of the max rotation will get you 50% of the max resistance (on a 500k pot, this would be 250k), 80% will give you 80%, et cetera. You would not consider a linear volume pot to be intuitive or 'natural' sounding, as your perception of volume is also logarithmic, so for volume pots you want an audio taper.

Jeff

Yeah I know the science behind them I just wondered if there was any benifit. Maybe I will swap that out on my guitar they are not that exspensive.

It'll just seem like most of the 'change' happens over a different region of the pot. You won't get that nice violin-like 'swell' that you can get with an audio pot.

Jeff