DIY Install EMG 81 in Jackson SLSMG

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
I attempted a search but unsuccesful. Does anyone know any tutorials or have a step by step on how to install a EMG 81 in the bridge? The guitar is a Jackson SLSMG currently with EMG Hz passives.

What are you having trouble with? They should have given you a wiring diagram, apart from that it's practically identical to any other pickup change.

Jeff

You need to isntall 500k pots for the actives... from what I've heard.

500k pots are standard in almost all non-strat electrics - Gibson, ESP, Schecter, PRS, etc.

EMGs come with 25k pots.

The EMG tech is great. He'll send you the schematic you need.

Higher pot values will mean higher resistance to ground when the pot is maxed, which will mean less signal getting told to fuck off to ground and more going through the line - which will mean slightly more gain and, if the pot kills treble, less treble loss. I've seen pot values as high as 4M and as low as 10k, and I don't have a volume knob at all in my 6-string - it comes down to personal preference, but 25k is the norm for actives, 250k is the norm for single coils, and 500k is the norm for passive humbuckers.

Jeff

You can try them both - 25k is of course the standard, but there is a point on the 500k pot that corresponds to 25k (which would be the full-on position on that pot) so I don't see the point of using a low-value pot myself. Then again, I don't use a volume knob at all, and when I wire up other people's guitars I try to convince them to use larger pot values if they don't really hate treble.

Jeff

Seriously though, I have a SLSMG too and want to replace those Hz's (these particular Hz's are horrible) with the 81/85 combo. Don't you have to route the wood for the battery compartment?

I haven't come across a guitar that actually needed routing for the battery. However, if you post a pic and it's obviously too small I can pull together a way to power the box externally with a little work.

Jeff

Seriously though, I have a SLSMG too and want to replace those Hz's (these particular Hz's are horrible) with the 81/85 combo. Don't you have to route the wood for the battery compartment?

Yikes! Replace those HZ's as soon as possible. I hate those pickups more than any other. There should be room in the control cavity for the 9v, no routing required.

You can try them both - 25k is of course the standard, but there is a point on the 500k pot that corresponds to 25k (which would be the full-on position on that pot) so I don't see the point of using a low-value pot myself. Then again, I don't use a volume knob at all, and when I wire up other people's guitars I try to convince them to use larger pot values if they don't really hate treble.

I thought EMGs required the 25k pots?

I believe I just explained that above, but if not...

Potentiometers are nothing more than devices that vary resistance between a set of sources - here, they determine how much signal goes to the output (where you hear it) and to ground (where it vanishes according to Kirchoff's Laws) depending on how it is set. The value of a pot given (like 25K or 500K or 2M) will be the highest resistance it is capable of. Any resistance between that (last I checked, 25 is between 0 and 500) is also accessible with the right rotation of the pot. All you are doing is determining the maximum resistance to ground that you have available; EMG generally tells people to go for the 25k, single-coil passives have 250k pots recommended, and humbucker passives have 500k recommended. It's all your call - if you don't want that extra 475 kilohms of resistance available, don't go for the 500k. That simple.

Jeff

<sarcasmStyle = moron>

Omg, like did u know Aleix from COB usees those? he gets crazy mad awsome tone, those r the best pcikups evar!!!1!

</moron>

Jeff

I guess the deal is that there are several models of Hz's. Definitely the ones that come stock with the SLSMG have very low output so stay far away. But some of the other ones sound good apparently. Andy said that Gary from Exodus had some HZ's in his V and they sounded great and recorded with them. Maybe your buddy has the same model?

I guess the deal is that there are several models of Hz's. Definitely the ones that come stock with the SLSMG have very low output so stay far away. But some of the other ones sound good apparently. Andy said that Gary from Exodus had some HZ's in his V and they sounded great and recorded with them. Maybe your buddy has the same model?
no, he has the SLSMG :lol: :lol: he's more into classical guitar anyway but it just seems to me that he should have gotten around to it sometime in the 4 years that hes had it