Best place to get started on Porcupine Tree

what? FCTMAM is great.
This.

Seriously, how can you not like it?

oh, and I also really like FOABP too. It's got metal elements, but definitely not metal. Steven wilson has a new solo album coming out too, looking forward to that.

Everyone on the Opeth forum seems to recommend In Absentia. It's really far from their best. I think it has the most filler on it. I don't think it's any more accessible than any of the other albums they've done in the last 10 years.

I agree 100%, and add that Stupid Dream is probably their most complete album, though not necessarily with the peaks of some of their others. Nil Recurring and FOABP I don't care for at all.

Belligerent hit it pretty good. It really depends on what you're in the mood for. The early works have more Floydish atmosphere to them and the latter are more hard rock. I fond the early stuff up through Lightbulb Sun the ones I play the most but I love all of their albums.

I just started collecting their vinyl WAY too late. That shit is insane expensive.

Anathema?
Porcupine Tree?

They clearly wear their influences on their sleave and then some. Though I don't think they're a bad band by any means. Just not very original.

:err: ? I don't see the correlation between anathema and riverside. I haven't heard much porcupine tree yet to determine that one though.

Then again both those bands take their influence from Pink Floyd so in some respects your logic is flawed when we can trace all 3 bands back to the great Pink Floyd, and the one who feel less like a Patchwork of Floyd idolizing is Riverside in my opinion.

You can't see the similarities between the last four Anathema albums and Riverside? Wow. And those Anathema albums kind of have much more to do with Radiohead than Pink Floyd, namely the last two.

:err: ? I don't see the correlation between anathema and riverside.

Yeah well, you're special. If you cannot hear a huge similarity between Riverside and post-Eternity Anathema then I don't know what to tell you.