Riverside vs. Porcupine Tree

Oh... I read the thread title and saw NFU had replied... expected an epic burn. I feel oddly deflated:p

Porcupine Tree by far for me. I've listen to Second Life Syndrome and just can't get anything out of it. Whereas I enjoy the entire PT discography. Almost.

I waiting for NFU to come into this one.. he hasn't been as reliable lately though :cry:

And what I heard of SLS was terrible.. I dunno why I like their first album though. And I hate their name cause it sounds like it should be some bro band.

wth... all of these "x vs y" threads suck ass. you started a terrible trend, want a fucking cookie?

well actually some interesting discussions took place in that thread if you were paying attention and if I recall correctly you posted in there a few times, so if it was such a terrible thread why bother posting in there?

Dumb ass !

Riverside is the #1 band for confusing me as to why people hate them so much.....I really don't get it. I understand someone not liking them particularly, but the pure almost palpable hatred is beyond me. What is so terrible about them? They're good song writers, they understand dynamics of song structure, and are proficient at playing as well, plus they haven't created two songs that sound the same. Plus I really like their vocalist. The 'wailing' argument is beyond me; apparently no one has ever heard of power metal.

With all that said, PT is still the top due to a longer discography and reinventing themselves a few times. However, if Riverside release one or two more albums on the same level as the previous two I'll be picking them.

Riverside? good songwriters? the songs are horribly disjointed, one song in particular caught my attention, ''volte-face''...it is the best example of why they blow so much: lame-ass simplified Dream theater-sounding riffs, terrible vocals and add the fact that they just aren't able to express any kind of feeling through the music, i mean, their music doesn't sound aggressive, melancholic or anything, just disjointed and really annoying...and i listened to them because i read really GREAT reviews of their albums, but Jesus are they wrong...

riverside has one tolerable-good song, pt has buckets full of albums that crush

Riverside? good songwriters? the songs are horribly disjointed, one song in particular caught my attention, ''volte-face''...it is the best example of why they blow so much: lame-ass simplified Dream theater-sounding riffs, terrible vocals and add the fact that they just aren't able to express any kind of feeling through the music, i mean, their music doesn't sound aggressive, melancholic or anything, just disjointed and really annoying...and i listened to them because i read really GREAT reviews of their albums, but Jesus are they wrong...
i disagree in every single point you mentioned! terrible vocals? i'd rather listen 24/7 to their vocalist than 2 minutes to S. Wilson! no expression of feelings? you just don't get them. i receive lot's of feelings from their music. well, to each his own.

Both bands are REALLY good IMO.
PT has some very good songs, but I find myself skipping through a bunch of tracks when listening to their albums.
On the other hand I find both Riverside albums to be amazing from start to finish.
They have become one of better new bands I've heard in recent years.