Why do so many metal fans like Porcupine Tree?

Brooks

Eyes Wide Open
Nov 15, 2001
Bay Area, California
skloid.blogspot.com
On face value, most metalheads should instantly label Porcupine Tree a pussy band. They play nice melodies, catchy hooks, (often) whiny lyrics about relationships (SD/LS, others) and ambiguous psychedelia (early stuff). Hardly the brutal fare favored by metal loving blokes.

Now that PT seems to know this, they're catering more and more to the heavy music listeners, but even older PT--which SW made specific points to NOT be related to heavy metal--catches the favor of many metal listeners I know.

Scanning through lists of favorite bands in the "is opeth your favorite band?" thread in the Opeth forum, I noticed countless lists which included about 7 metal bands, and then Porcupine Tree.

What is it about Porcupine Tree which appeals to metal fans? Is it the experimentation? The freedom they utilize to play whatever kind of music they want? Its certainly not the "fuck you" attitude metal has always been built upon.

Why do metal fans love PT so much?

Probably cause they're lyrical geniuses and deeply mature.

But I hated every minute
I was waiting for your email
And each day that you forgot to call
Just made me feel so low
So low

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

No seriously I think the main reason they're so popular on this forum is cause Steven Wilson and Mikael used to have a love relationship. If it weren't for the Opeth-PT connection I'm reasonably convinced most people here would never have bothered. I think they're good but sure don't understand how people can think some of their stuff (like, half of deadwing) is anything other than boring retro-prog tripe.

Because the latest two albums had a clear metal edge ( riffs, guitar tone, a more powerful and technical drummer, the Opeth connection) and maybe because good music is good music and PT is just brilliant.

because they produced Opeth and thus it makes it "ok" to like them. Well, for some people anyway. I mean, how many people who like P-Tree have taken the time to look for more bands like them? I bet not many, because other bands like them didn't produce Opeth and are usually associated with the indie scene.

1.) the Opeth-Porcupine Tree connection
2.) In Absentia/Deadwing of course have rock & metal elements that make it easier for a metalhead who's just starting to explore outside the metal genre to "ease" into
3.) they're a good band anyway

One of my favorite bands. Steven Wilson is a genius. His lyrics are at times simple, but the atmosphere he creates in his songs are great.

Brooks, I love your avatar pic. Alex Grey is a genius.

A lot of people on this forum are music lovers of a broader nature than just liking macho metal bands who have a "fuck you" attitude anyway. That and the Opeth connection easily accounts for the attention they get on this forum.

because they produced Opeth and thus it makes it "ok" to like them. Well, for some people anyway. I mean, how many people who like P-Tree have taken the time to look for more bands like them? I bet not many, because other bands like them didn't produce Opeth and are usually associated with the indie scene.
this

People found them via Opeth and noticed they're pretty good. Really, you don't find that much non-Opeth-metallists who like PT. And if we're honest...

"They play nice melodies, catchy hooks, (often) whiny lyrics about relationships"

It's actually as metal as it gets. And all that brutal metal thing is just for covering out the fact that metalheads are samekinda pussies like everyone :p

Reactions: Don Corleone
I think it's the way of which music is expressed. Steven Wilson imho is a musical genius, he comes up with ideas and concepts which never cease to amaze me. The way in which each instrument is played, to compliment each other, they come together as if it were part of an orchestra. The way in which the songs are structured and how they are sometimes very spontaneous is also another amazing factor. It's the musicianship, the lyrics which are also amazing (and fyi wankerness, Feel So Low is imo one of PT's best made songs, the fact that it's so raw, and doesn't hide anything, it makes the songwriter vulnerable to its audience, i wouldn't have guts to write anything like that and publish it- although people connect to that sort of thing, and that is why i have seen a few people cry when that track is played).
The amount of profession shown by Steven Wilson is also astounding, since he wrote, recorded and produced all of their older stuff. His current production skills are very different to what a typical producer's may be, because he is not afraid to step out of the square, as you may see on one of the Opeth albums he produced.
I could go on... but i am tired.
I think it's just the maturity that all the songs display, the way it is put together and the musicianship... they're actually a very good band, despite metal or not!

Well, to put it simply, i would've never heard them if it weren't for Opeth. Regardless, In Absentia has to be one of my favourite albums ever.

But if i had heard Porcupine Tree before Opeth, i'd still love their music and respect Steven Wilson just as much - assuming i found out about Wilson producing 3 Opeth albums.

I got into them when I was getting into prog. Has nothing to do with Opeth, really. But actually, they're not one of my favorite bands. Keep in mind that I haven't heard anything past Stupid Dream, which is pretty much just (good) alternative rock, I think.

1.) the Opeth-Porcupine Tree connection
2.) In Absentia/Deadwing of course have rock & metal elements that make it easier for a metalhead who's just starting to explore outside the metal genre to "ease" into
3.) they're a good band anyway

this is a good one....and to those of you who posted number one with the "omg-thses-ignnnrnt-fnbyz" attitude ...fucking shut the fuck up.