Porcupine Tree

Huge PT fan here.. but I find "Fear of a Blank Planet" to be rather boring.... with the exception of the gorgeous "Sentimental". I definately prefer "Deadwing".

FOABP is a grower, but it'll eventually sink in an infect you, in a non- crab/herpes way. It's great when your least favorite PT album still is a good album.

The term "prog" always has been and still is a terrible qualifier for music. Just like "experimental" and "avant-garde". All of those terms are relative, highly subjective and none of them mean anything by themselves so you can pretty much argue 'til kingdom come about which bands they do and do not apply to.

It all depends on your frame of reference and which aspects of music you emphasize.
One of the most intellgient posts ever on this non-metal forum.

Blackfield is quite nice, a good pop rock band, but not as ambitious as Porcupine Tree

No-Man is a beautiful project too, it's really relaxing atmospheric pop music.

The song from OSI written and sung by Steven Wilson called "Shutdown" is great!

My favourite albums are: Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, Fear of a Blank Planet, In Absentia, Signify and The Sky Moves Sideways, well nearly all of them :D

Thought I'd post this for people that are still unaware how this band started, sounds like etc.

Conceived in 1987 in Hertfordshire, England as a psychedelic, experimental and progressive music outlet for Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree have managed to defy genres and blend together numerous ambient, rock and avant-garde styles to create a musical landscape that is both refreshing and compulsively seductive. The hypnotic rhythms, spacy synthesizers, glissando guitar and crazy voices which made the style successful are all contained here.

Porcupine Tree is unquestionably one of the most difficult-to-categorize and innovative bands working today. The music is breathtaking, ranging from psychedelic trip-hop to progressive metal, combining intense musicianship, unconventional composition and superb studio production. They are unquestionably one of the UK's most inspired and inventive rock groups.

With the release of their 9th studio album Fear Of A Blank Planet Porcupine Tree have produced a crushingly heavy masterpiece that has true meaning with or without the music. It’s a rare thing these days but Porcupine Tree seem able to do it time and again. This album is no exception. “The cerebral, atmospheric sound on this album remains enormously compelling from almost the first moment.” – All Music Guide

sounds pretty accurate for what little I've heard, a bit of promo as well. I just played some of DW for a friend last night, he liked it alot, I knew it would appeal to him. Hes been a big Pink Floyd and later Fates Warning fan for decades/years.

Porcupine Tree do a fine job of flying under the radar if you're not looking for them but once you hear them, you always wonder how you never heard them before. Then the excitement sets in as you realize they have a nice sized back catalog.

Fill me in...whats OSI??

A project with Mike Portnoy, Jim Matheos (Fates Warning) and Kevin Moore. It's kind of modern prog metal. Not really exciting I find but Steven Wilson participated to this song "Shutdown", and it's the best one of the album I find!

If you want to know more about Porcupine Tree, I really invite you to see their dvd "Arriving Somewhere". A masterpiece of modern prog rock live in my opinion!
Gavin Harrison is a real master at the drums, reminds me of Neil Peart!

A project with Mike Portnoy, Jim Matheos (Fates Warning) and Kevin Moore. It's kind of modern prog metal. Not really exciting I find but Steven Wilson participated to this song "Shutdown", and it's the best one of the album I find!

If you want to know more about Porcupine Tree, I really invite you to see their dvd "Arriving Somewhere". A masterpiece of modern prog rock live in my opinion!
Gavin Harrison is a real master at the drums, reminds me of Neil Peart!

I bet I'd like that, Jim Matheos connects well with me

Yes the drummer is very creative and in a good way

I call Kevin Moore's post Dream Theater stuff his "Syd Barrett" phase. It's very odd, bizarre, and nowhere near the typical prog metal music that presides today. It's not to say I don't like it, I do have the OSI stuff, and a Chroma Key album.