Porcupine Tree

I actually wasnt bickering and both of those two posts were made in good humor. I dont expect to make sense to most people

PT is a progressive band. Many progressive bands follow no genre specific rules & regulations and use many means of musical expression

I'm not gonna argue whether they're prog-rock, prog-metal, or just rock. I'm just going to say that everyone who can see them live, should. I've seen them twice in Seattle and they are incredible. Simply put album wise, they've progressed from almost ambient subtle rock (Pink Floyd) to heavier territories, but the bottom line is quality.

Don't forget to check out Blackfield too, if you don't mind a little bit of pop thrown in, it's really good too.

That album reminds me of Pink Floyds Album Meddle..top 3 PT for me
The Sky Moves Sideways
Stupid Dream
In Absentia
Has anyone got the Voyage 34 album? The narration at the beginning sounds like Dick Clark.

"In Absentia" is a godly piece of work. However, I must agree with Ramses. SMS and "Signify" are probably my 2 favorites from PT. The song "Moonloop" and the coda on SMS is my favorite PT song. Also dig "The Moon touches your Shoulder" and "Stars Die." I just never get tired of Signify. The "Up the Downstair" re-master which includes the EP-"Staircase Infinities" is also worthy of your collection. I"ve been listening to PT since 93, and Steven Wilson has always demonstrated an incredible sense of melody and composition.

Signify was the first I found, when it came out. I was reading about them for about 2 years, but at that time, there really wasn't a way to order their albums. When I go to a record store, I go A to Z, regardless of how long it takes. With people such as us, you have to dig through everything, in hopes of finding the good music. So, it was such a nice suprise to find Signify. It was used as well, so I ended up only paying around $7.00 for it.

"In Absentia" is a godly piece of work. However, I must agree with Ramses. SMS and "Signify" are probably my 2 favorites from PT. The song "Moonloop" and the coda on SMS is my favorite PT song. Also dig "The Moon touches your Shoulder" and "Stars Die." I just never get tired of Signify. The "Up the Downstair" re-master which includes the EP-"Staircase Infinities" is also worthy of your collection. I"ve been listening to PT since 93, and Steven Wilson has always demonstrated an incredible sense of melody and composition.
Moonloop and The Moon Touches Your Shoulder are the highlights along with Always Never and Dislocated Day on Coma Divine. Very underrated songs. Ill say it again...the BEST live album I've ever heard.

So which recording would have more stuff in the hard driven rock/metal vein as the song "Shallow", Im all about that song one of my favorite grooves in along time.

So which recording would have more stuff in the hard driven rock/metal vein as the song "Shallow", Im all about that song one of my favorite grooves in along time.

That's interesting, you find the song "Shallow" to be a favorite groove? You walked into that one RE. :lol: Belligerent is absolutely correct about "Coma Divine." I'm usually not a big fan of "live" albums, but this thing is incredible. You can find something on here to catch your "groove."

The first song on In Absentia "Blackest Eyes" rocks. I love the chorus part a lot. Mr. Wilson has a knack for great catchy, cling to your brain choruses. Lips of Ashes is my fav. on that album. In my room at night, when I finally turn in, I put in 5 albums in my stereo, put it on random, have the music just audible...I tend to put in early 70's prog, and ambient/prog (Vangelis-Tangerine Dream...etc.). And PT ends up in there as well. I usually put in Up the Downstair, Voyage 34, or Sky Moves Sideways. I'm such a light sleeper, but with low music in the background, it theraputically works on my nerves.

Does that equate as an answer to the question I asked as to any albums than might have more in that vein ? I like the more atmosphereic stuff too, dont get me wrong, its just that those riffs really grabed ahold of me.

I'm not the biggest fan of that song (Shallow) actually but I'd say in that "vein" try the song "Sleep Together" off of FOABP. It has a pretty cool groove to it. Or "Blackest Eyes" like ramses stated.

I'm not the biggest fan of that song (Shallow) actually but I'd say in that "vein" try the song "Sleep Together" off of FOABP. It has a pretty cool groove to it. Or "Blackest Eyes" like ramses stated.

Yeah! Sleep together definitely is in the vein of Shallow as well. All PT albums are very different from one another. The last 2, Deadwing, and Fear of a...are similiar. Not exactly, mind you. Just about half the album.

I like the latter half of Dead Wing quite a bit too. SO Coma Divine is a live recording and that would mean it covers a wide range of their studio stuff? Or they are awesome live? Or they do even more with the songs live?

I see they have a sizable libary of recordings and I bet you cant go wrong with any of them. What did they sound like in the early 90's ?

Coma Divine really doesn't sound much like Dead Wing. It is made up from earlier material up to the Signify album. Early Porcupine Tree is when they made Pink Floyd-influenced music (trippier stuff rather than the more standard rock stuff they make nowadays). It is a great live album though.