Porcupine Tree

Belligerent

Greekus Urungus
Mar 15, 2006
The Low Low, IL
Just seems to be this band does not get enough recognition. I don't want to hear: "Steven Wilson ruined Opeth" which is absolutely insane. Porcupine Tree is phenomenal and I think they deserve their own thread.

I'll start.
For people looking for "trippy Pink-Floyd styled rock"
try: The Sky Moves Sideways or LIVE Coma Divine.

For more of a Prog-metal approach try In Absentia or Fear of a Blank Planet. Either way you cannot lose with this band.

Next batch of CDs I order I'm definitely getting "Fear of a Blank Planet". I love "In Absentia" & it's their only album I have. They're quite a respected band, & rightfully so.

I was looking for their new one in the store today but couldn't find it - heard lots of good stuff about it (and personally I love Absentia and Deadwing).
:cool: Then you will definitely like FOABP. (I believe it's been out for almost a year now). I think it's a step ahead for Porcupine Tree with the 17 minute prog-metal masterpiece "Anesthesize" featuring Alex Lifeson on one of the solos. The album even features Robert Fripp from King Crimson.
It's my favorite PT release so far.

I was turned on to them last year by this guy - http://www.cannonz.com/originals.htm - a drummer from our small musical community... lol. Check him out, pretty talented dude. (not a promotional plug, just a point of interest, and Porcupine tree reminded me) I have Dark Wing and the song, Shallow is one of my favorite grooves and riffs ever. The song Open Car stands out to me as well. I like em alot, sometimes their a bit too ambient or mellow for me but I still like the stuff. About a month ago we got together and jamed, afterword he played some of their other stuff for me and made the point for me to listen to the drummer, let me tell you that guy really puts alot of sublte stuff into the music. This is definantly pne of the many bands on my catch up list.

I've heard mixed reactions regarding Fear of a Blank Planet, but I, despite always finding myself sad listening to it, like it quite a bit.

I'd get it.

I really like FOABP but then again, I like all of their material. Their entire catalogue shines with creative genious. I got to see them twice this year and loved both shows. Watching the entire FOABP album done live was a real treat.

FOABP is one of my top albums for this year, and it easily stands out with Anesthetize and Sleep Together, for me. I love the band but it sucks that i can never find any of their stuff in stores, it's sad.

I'm starting to really like this band...I mean I liked them before, but today I listened to Stupid Dream, Deadwing, and a bit of In Absentia, and it was amazing. I especially like the lyrics on Deadwing and In Absentia, and some of the riffs they come up with just blow me away...Wilson is an extremely talented musician.

Mathiäs;6824417 said:
Really? I see it everywhere

I don't know man. I might see one or two of their albums at the insanely expenive FYE in the mall, but I don't see them at other record stores very much. Orlando is so Rap/Pop driven it's not funny, though. Even people that generally fit Rock stereotypes (long hair; tight shirts; ect.) here only listen to Rap a lot of times, it's crazy.

I'd be moving out of there quick....... :lol:

It's really odd, but what I said is true. I'm definitely not your stereotypical Metal guy so it all balances out I guess :lol: Like everywhere else there are cool people here too & I have a couple of good trustworthy friends. It would be a bitch to go somewhere else to start over, but I've thought about it a million times.