HOW MANY MORE RiFFS WILL OPETH STEAL FROM PORCUPINE TREE????

Yeah, when I realized it was the same guy who did that "DUMBNATION" thread, I regret taking him seriously in my post explaining what he was trying to do... He's obviously trying to start a huge fight, and is failing miserably at it... What an idiot... "Feed off my hate!?!?" I must have assumed when I first read it that something this inane must have been an attempt at sarcasm, but I guess I was wrong. Is this guy in second grade? :err:

I hate when people confuse influence with plagiarism. If no one influenced each other music would not evelve and we'd be stuck in caves playing the skulls of our dead ancestors with sticks and grunting. Ok I just described some modern music but what the hey :)

In Absentia is by far the better album. The few heavy guitars fit in perfectly but have nothing to do with OPETH. The only real influence is that PT have tried out to put a bit of heavy stuff into their sound.

As for the both Opeth-Releases - I think Opeth would have much done better if they just concentrated on one release 'cause Deliverance sounds like as if they have run out of ideas. Why write two average albums when you could do one stunning release?

PT have chosen the right direction and the result is brilliant, like always...

Actually Porcupine Tree's latest effort does have a some-what strong Opeth influence, and I'm not referring to the heavy-ness I'm referring to the "bleak" element that Opeth have been using in there sound exclusively since Blackwater Park, and you know what I'm talking about, its that slidey guitar technique that has that bleakness to it, it was never apparent in any of Porcupine Tree's previous offerings as far as I know until "In Absentia." And its this element that makes "In Absentia" distinct from there past albums.

Medion said:
I think Opeth would have much done better if they just concentrated on one release 'cause Deliverance sounds like as if they have run out of ideas. Why write two average albums when you could do one stunning release?
DAMNATION sounds unlike anything the band has done before... Can you please explain how a band experimenting with new material constitutes having "run out of ideas?" If anything, them releasing the same album over and over again would mean that they ran out of ideas. I never understood this particular criticism of DAMNATION... :err:

John Gargo said:
DAMNATION sounds unlike anything the band has done before... Can you please explain how a band experimenting with new material constitutes having "run out of ideas?"

well, I ment that OPETH are somehow trapped in their own soundscape - the new album sounds like new material based on the songwriting/rhythm of their past releases...and DAMNATION sounds like Opeth-unplugged. I don't think they've been experimenting with new ideas. I mean it's okay, the band has found their style, they have some very good moments, but there is no real progression any more. DAMNATION is Opeth without their Metal-Riffs, nothing more. It's okay, the album is interesting, but it's not "a completely different side" of the band...

PORCUPINE TREE, e.g., show their ability of including new ideas - they have their own soundscape too, nevertheless it is definitely completely different from album to album...that's the point