Why do so many metal fans like Porcupine Tree?

Probably cause they're lyrical geniuses and deeply mature.

But I hated every minute
I was waiting for your email
And each day that you forgot to call
Just made me feel so low
So low

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

No seriously I think the main reason they're so popular on this forum is cause Steven Wilson and Mikael used to have a love relationship. If it weren't for the Opeth-PT connection I'm reasonably convinced most people here would never have bothered. I think they're good but sure don't understand how people can think some of their stuff (like, half of deadwing) is anything other than boring retro-prog tripe.

Whoa, I was listening to thats ong when I read that... not quite the exact part but creepy enough:lol:

Besides the fact that they play great music, the SW-MA connection has made it alright for Opeth fans to like them. But I also agree with whoever said many of this forum's members have broad tastes in music. I certainly wouldn't have heard of them of bothered with them if it weren't for Opeth though.

meh, PT doesn't impress me that much. there's better.

they're ok. a few songs are excellent, but I've yet to hear a full album that dropped my jaw.

Other people like them, actually. I knew a few people at my college who loved them and didn't listen to any metal AT ALL. One was a jam band fanatic and heard they were trippy/psychedelic from some fellow stoner, and another was into like...Radiohead.

2 things about the PT/Opeth relationship :

Steven Wilson got into metal thanks to a french journalist (Vive la France!) who introduced Opeth 's Still Life and Meshuggah to Wilson.

Wilson asked Akerfeldt to tour with PT for the In Absentia tour but he declined and they got John Wesley instead.

Because PT are a mad band with great songs and a great producer with incredible lyrics touching lyrics moving lyrics inspiring songs the song trains has inspired me to write a song that will be completly acoustic acompanied only by a dumbeck or something along those lines, IMO PT are one of the best bands out.

Reactions: in_absentia
who has the dvd? i just got mine this afternoon... trains is incredible. and he deals with a broken string fairly well on it too:lol: he just says: we were doing so well! the cymbal song is very cleverly done as well.

who has the dvd? i just got mine this afternoon... trains is incredible. and he deals with a broken string fairly well on it too:lol: he just says: we were doing so well! the cymbal song is very cleverly done as well.

It's a great DVD. Setlist is good, sound is superb as always with Wilson, the only thing it lacks is a good documentary but apparently they ran out of time or something. "Buying New Soul" and the funky intro to "Halo" are highlights, as is Gavin Harrison on drums who pretty much pwns the whole thing imo

It's a great DVD. Setlist is good, sound is superb as always with Wilson, the only thing it lacks is a good documentary but apparently they ran out of time or something. "Buying New Soul" and the funky intro to "Halo" are highlights, as is Gavin Harrison on drums who pretty much pwns the whole thing imo

yeh harrison is a freak. your right about the doco... i was sort of left with the feeling that there was something missing. but its ok i guess. one of the highlights has to be colin edwin having the exact same goofy smile on his face the entire concert:lol: gotta love bass players:p

I got into them mainly because of the SW/Opeth connection. I am an avid fan now. They are one of the few bands I say that I listen to more than Opeth.

But then you might as well ask me why I listen to other shit like Soundgarden, John Coltrane, SRV, Stevie Wonder, Kaki King.

Not all of us metalheads are neatherthals. Many of us just like listening to other types of music. I mean, why limit yourself and only listen to metal and other music that people may say is "OK" for metalheads to listen to?

Be missin' out, you know what I mean jelly bean?

Besides, "Buying New Soul" is just a great fucking song, musically and lyrically...

i'd basically say what FullMetalCornflake said :p I don't limit myself to just metal. I like several bands that are similar to PT. I actually got into both bands (PT and Opeth) around the same time, but I wouldn't say the PT/Opeth connection influenced my listening. I like the entire PT catalogue, Opeth aswell.

Anyhow, I think some people 'get' porcupine tree and it connects to them in some way. Then there are people that think it's just decent music, and for some people it just doesn't click with them & they don't get why people like them so much. pretty much the same deal with all music i guess..