Porcupine Tree Signs With Road Runner

Blackwater Demon

Using Cold Words
Mar 30, 2008
Under The Weaping Moon
I took this from a myspace bulletin from a guy who is really acurate on music news.

Roadrunner Records has announced the signing of British progressive rock band PORCUPINE TREE.

One of the most difficult-to-categorize yet innovative acts making music today, PORCUPINE TREE's music ranges from psychedelic trip-hop to progressive rock, and a compendium of other sounds in between.

PORCUPINE TREE has already been a part of the international Roadrunner family; they have been signed to Roadrunner since 2006 and are now transitioning to all territories outside Japan.

Senior VP of A&R for Roadrunner, Monte Conner, says, "PORCUPINE TREE have been making vital and important music for many years now but over the last few years in particular, that music has been reaching many new ears. Roadrunner hopes to not only continue that growth here in the U.S. but accelerate it and expose the world to the massive talent this band has. I am honored to welcome Steven Wilson and PORCUPINE TREE to the Roadrunner fold."

The band is fronted by singer/guitarist Steven Wilson, who, in addition to his critical acclaim with PORCUPINE TREE, is also known for his work producing other artists, such as Swedish progressive metal group (and now labelmates) OPETH and Norwegian chanteuse ANJA GARBAREK.

PORCUPINE TREE has released three albums through Lava/Atlantic: "In Absentia", "Deadwing", and the Grammy-nominated "Fear of a Blank Planet", which was recognized as "Best Surround Sound" album in 2007.

PORCUPINE TREE's new album will contain a 50-minute long continuous song cycle, along with three additional "shorter" songs. A September 22 release is exected. The band will embark on a U.S. tour to coincide with the album's arrival.

Below is the initial run of tour dates:

Sep. 15 - Moore Theater - Seattle
Sep. 16 - Roseland - Portland
Sep. 18 - Warfield - San Francisco
Sep. 19 - Club Nokia - Los Angeles
Sep. 21 - House of Blues - Cleveland
Sep. 22 - Vic Theater - Chicago
Sep. 24 - Terminal 5 - New York
Sep. 26 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia
Sep. 27 - House of Blues - Boston
Sep. 29 - Metropolis - Montreal
Sep. 30 - Queen Elizabeth Theatre - Toronto

Wow, new releases from Heaven and Hell, Dream Theater AND Porcupine Tree. Looks like '09 is turning out to be a pretty good year despite the fact that we won't have a new Opeth album for another few years.

Damn, they're not coming anywhere near Dallas. That sucks. Oh well....I'm looking forward to this release.

Psychedelic trip hop??? That's kind of a stretch....but I don't care what they call them as long as this new album is as good as the last three (actually, the last five. Funny how people don't give proper credit to Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream).

but I don't care what they call them as long as this new album is as good as the last three (actually, the last five. Funny how people don't give proper credit to Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream).

Who doesn't? I suppose the knuckledragging meatheads in their breecore Tees.

I also think Signify is a damn fine album.

Wow, new releases from Heaven and Hell, Dream Theater AND Porcupine Tree. Looks like '09 is turning out to be a pretty good year despite the fact that we won't have a new Opeth album for another few years.

Damn, they're not coming anywhere near Dallas. That sucks. Oh well....I'm looking forward to this release.

Psychedelic trip hop??? That's kind of a stretch....but I don't care what they call them as long as this new album is as good as the last three (actually, the last five. Funny how people don't give proper credit to Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream).

They get plenty of credit for those albums; they mentioned the 3 latest albums because of the record label, not because they were superior. Also the new Dream Theater is pretty damn disappointing :(

Awesome! Porcupine Tree is sweet. But no Vancouver date? WTF! Maybe soon tho.

And psychedelic trip-hop is probably referring to their stuff like The Sky Moves Sideways and Voyage 34. Has anyone heard of these albums? I love the Sky Moves Sideways.

Looking forward to their 50 minute song. I love long songs!

Deadwing = In Absentia = Lightbulb Sun > Stupid Dream > Fear of a Blank Planet for me as far as the heavy prog era goes. Just listen to a few random songs from their old stuff.