Riverside vs. Porcupine Tree

sunofalightbulb

More Kvlt Than Ever
not to kick the "world vs. PT" idea to death, but i kind of wondered what people's thoughts were toward these two very similar bands. Porcupine Tree has the advantage of many more albums stemming back to the late 80's cross-referencing genres such as ambient rock to progressive metal. Riverside is a newer band that employs a very similar style, but in more of a PT in an identity crisis. Songs from their discs seem to leap from the harder edge of PT (though never hitting the high points of hard found on In Absentia) to the ambience found on early PT classics.

the question is, Porcupine Tree or Riverside. the old classic, or the newcomer?

Porcupine Tree. Riverside has some good tunes, but IMO Porcupine Tree slays all.

i haven't heard riverside, as i haven't come across any album by them anywhere. but people have bashed the band a lot in here. is it really that bad?

I really like both bands, but Riverside have yet to prove themselves with their own sound, which they're still refining. Ask again when they've released a couple more albums.

90% of the votes will go for Porcupine Tree. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure 70% of the voters haven't listened to a full Riverside album yet. Obviously, no less than 35% don't have a clue as what Riverside music is all about. Conclusions: the results will be biased.

Anyway, Riverside.

I honestly tried to enjoy Riverside's music but they are so unoriginal, cheesy, and the vocals are so bad that i couldn't listen to one entire song...i like some cheesy neo-prog stuff like Pain of Salvation but Riverside is too much for me =(

haha, oh man, i'm on the forum for a week and i'm already starting trouble.

i agree with those who say that PT has the advantage because of length of career and essentially keeping this genre new and fresh, and that was a bias that i mentioned from the start. the contrast between new fans and old fans has always been a fun little experiement of mine. PT fans who got into them with In Absentia and Deadwing haven't seen the true diversity and bizarreness of PT, and when they hear it they are freaked out. the older fans long for the ambient work back! i personally love both sounds, and am a big PT fan.

hell even for me PT wins, but Riverside impresses me. it doesn't have to be hugely original to keep my ear, it just needs to keep my ear. of course, if every band and their mother changes their sound to this in the next 2 years *cough*metalcore*cough* then i'ma get a little on the pissed off side.

uughhh... Riverside's vocalist wails inconsolably whilst clutching at his genitals.