Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize

Wedding Nails is a great song off of In Absentia. Along with the opening track Blackest Eyes. Other songs I enjoy off that disk are: Trains, The sound of Muzak, The Creator has a Mastertape and Strip the Soul. I got into PT a little after I got into Opeth so I like more of there newer stuff. Though, the older stuff is still really good.

Hey man, I can't see any valid defense for the parts I pasted. They're badddddd bad bad. Maybe he's trying to be funny on some level or another, so it's not as bad as Pain of Salvation's Scarsick, but they are still pretty terrible!

trying to be funny? you don't have to hate FOABP just because the subject is similar to scarsick. I like both scarsick and FOABP, and i like both concepts, it's a very current issue that i'm also very intrested in.

trying to be funny? you don't have to hate FOABP just because the subject is similar to scarsick. I like both scarsick and FOABP, and i like both concepts, it's a very current issue that i'm also very intrested in.

I didn't say anything about teh concepts being similar, I said something about their lyrics both being awful. Scarsick's are far worse, though, thanks to the song where he dramatically lists a long string of things that can get fucked. I don't have a problem with either concept, just the execution.

I didn't say anything about teh concepts being similar, I said something about their lyrics both being awful. Scarsick's are far worse, though, thanks to the song where he dramatically lists a long string of things that can get fucked. I don't have a problem with either concept, just the execution.

OK, i disagree. Let's just leave it at this :p

FOABP has tons of clumsy lyrics that sound like something written by a petulent 20 year old who's angry at pop culture being oh so non-intellectual

I think that was the whole point.

"The lyrics deal with two typical developmental disorders affecting teenagers in the 21st Century: bipolar disorder and attention deficit disorder, and also with other common behavior tendencies on youth like escapism through prescription drugs, social alienation caused by technology, and the feeling of vacuity product of information overload in the mass media."

I like Porcupine Tree in general. It doesn't always get me, but right now I'm listening to Stupid Dream and very much enjoying myself!

I haven't listened to FOTBP for a while, but I didn't like it quite as much as Deadwing, which is really good.

I think that was the whole point.

"The lyrics deal with two typical developmental disorders affecting teenagers in the 21st Century: bipolar disorder and attention deficit disorder, and also with other common behavior tendencies on youth like escapism through prescription drugs, social alienation caused by technology, and the feeling of vacuity product of information overload in the mass media."

That says the lyrics are ABOUT them, I say the lyrics are so badly written as to be written BY them, haha. I guess maybe that's what he was going for, I should see if I can find interviews in which he explains the fact that the lyrics are bad as being intentional. He obviously can write non-retarded lyrics as evidenced by In Absentia, I just really was like wtf with this one.

That says the lyrics are ABOUT them, I say the lyrics are so badly written as to be written BY them, haha. I guess maybe that's what he was going for, I should see if I can find interviews in which he explains the fact that the lyrics are bad as being intentional. He obviously can write non-retarded lyrics as evidenced by In Absentia, I just really was like wtf with this one.

I think you're being a bit ignorant.
I don't think you can interpret even one in absentia lyric.

I used to love this album when it first came out, but it kind of got boring to me. Anesthetize is a decent song, but there is no reason for the song to be that long. The end was obviously an idea that Steve couldn't develop into its own song, so he just stuck it at the end. As for the lyrics, they are cringe-worthy. Whenever a defense for lyrics resorts to "he wrote shitty lyrics on purpose,"...it speaks to the quality of the lyrics in the first place. It's a bullshit argument.

Yeah, anyone that thinks the lyrics I pasted are laughable is clearly an ignoramus.

No ofcourse not. You totally have the right to dislike it, I just thought you lacked a good reason, and then calling in absentia good made me wonder if you even knew what those lyrics are about because i'm not completely sure.

I just listened to Lightbulb Sun, the whole album, again last night, and the lyrics are spectacular! I knew that Rest Will Flow, Where We Would Be and Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before it is Recycled were good, but every song brings its own lyrical aspect to the album. Now I remember what made that album my favorite.