Why do so many metal fans like Porcupine Tree?

Besides, "Buying New Soul" is just a great fucking song, musically and lyrically...

I dunno what the lyrics are, cause after being able to understand the lyrics on that last song on Lightbulb Sun and "Narcotic" I decided I'd probably like them better if I intentionally ignored their lyrics, but yes, the song is great. "Recordings" might be my favorite album of theirs, at the least it's tied with Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia. Just a great album. I saw recently that it goes for like 80 dollars on ebay, but I'm not selling mine :D

It's a great DVD. Setlist is good, sound is superb as always with Wilson...

actually after listening a couple of times, i dont think the sound is quite up to wilsons usual standard. the bass is too loud i think and just comparing it to his other work... its good but not as good as id expect from him.

hey wankerness, what song are they singing and dancing to? its hilarious:lol:

Because I'm a progressive music fan and PT is progressive. Probably I wouldn't have discovered PT if they had no connection with Opeth, but I listen to other progressive music like PT ex: Pink Floyd which is an important influence on the early PT albums. I'm more into prog music than I'm in metal anyway.

I tried to get into PT, bought In Absentia, sold it as it is a frustratingly uneven album and some of the songs are just so pedestrian/worthless. There are gems on there like "Heartattack in a Layby," but I think I'd draw the line at possibly picking up some of the earlier stuff. Deadwing sounded pretty good, but I don't know if its worth taking another chance on.

I know I'd enjoy Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, I've heard many songs from each and would like to pick them up. The older stuff intrigues me even more...

As for the Opeth relation... I don't even listen to much Opeth anymore, so I don't really care whether they got me into PT or not. To be honest, if they hadn't, I would have heard of the band by now anyways in my pursuits of other styles of music!

actually after listening a couple of times, i dont think the sound is quite up to wilsons usual standard. the bass is too loud i think and just comparing it to his other work... its good but not as good as id expect from him.

I was thinking this aswell. It sounds good, but you have to change your levels to get it sounding right. I was kinda disappointed with the performance *shock* compared to the live performances on Coma Divine, or even Warszawa. I mean some of the songs are performed great, but some seem to be missing emotion from them. I thought Hatesong pwn3d tho. Shame about Trains, not only the string breaking, but a key struck accidently during the quiet part at the end?

I tried to get into PT, bought In Absentia, sold it as it is a frustratingly uneven album and some of the songs are just so pedestrian/worthless.

this is basically the problem I've had with the band. I really haven't listened to them in quite awhile now though so I can't think of any specific examples right away (though "worthless" is quite a strong word)

I haven't spent much time at all listening to pre-In Absentia material either though. probably because they've never struck me as overly interesting - just a good band who writes good songs. I've just never given it the time thus far