HOW MANY MORE RiFFS WILL OPETH STEAL FROM PORCUPINE TREE????

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
If any one hasnt noticed yet the band Porcupine Tree (one of mikes favorite bands) sounds a fuck load alot like Opeth ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
FEED OFF MY HATE
evilgrin.gif
I even heard the same damn guitar ideas off them. They even changed to sound more like them.

Yes, I've also noticed the similiarities between 'Damnation' and Porcupine Tree's latest album 'In Abstentia'. No doubt, Opeth's newest is the better album.

I think In Absentia is better than Damnation.
Also, don't come here with such a big assumption with no examples. Take your pointless bitching elsewhere unless you have something to back it up.

I've just about had it with you, mindless bashing and ass-hole like remarks will not get you anywhere in life. Of course it sounds like Porcupine Tree, their friends, it's called influences. If the thing called "influence" did not exist, we would be at a loss for we would have no good music. It's the same like me and a friend of mine growing up together, we started in different places with our guitarwork, but now we're starting to have similar styles because we know eachother. Just like some Metallica sounds like Sabbath or Zeppelin.

Jeez man, arrogant remarks like that are gonna get you in trouble, so think twice before you post something like that; we're not getting any constructive discussion with shit like this so stop it.

It works both ways, both Mikeal and Steven fed off each other on the new albums, that is why in absentia had an opeth like feel to it compared to previous albums more-so, and why damnation (being produced with steve wilson's help I might add) had a Porcupine tree sound to it. It makes perfect sense, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Alteredmindeath said:
If any one hasnt noticed yet the band Porcupine Tree (one of mikes favorite bands) sounds a fuck load alot like Opeth ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
FEED OFF MY HATE
evilgrin.gif
I even heard the same damn guitar ideas off them. They even changed to sound more like them.

No I hadnt noticed.

PT's In Absentia I too think is the better album all around but Damnation is a nice change.

Good point you have there if you say Mike and Wilson have 'fed' eachother for their new albums, I just wanted to say... I hope Opeth stays Opeth, and Porcupine Tree will stay Porcupine Tree. These are both amazing great bands, but I think they shoudlnt mix too much... :err:

You also have to consider that Steve Wilson was in the studio when Opeth were recording the last 3 albums, so of course some PTesque riff and effects crept in.

But no members of Opeth were involved in the production of In Absentia.
Steve originally planned to make In Absentia even heavier than it turned out to be, but the other band members weren't happy about this.

In reality the only parts of In Absentia which are significanly heavier than parts of PTs previous albums are the riff in Blackest Eyes, and most of Strip The Soul.

If you get the chance, download "Cut Ribbon" a song that was dropped from In Absentia - Steve wasn't too happy that it found its way online!

Mikael said that Opeth was starting to sound like PT and vise versa and they should switch names..i forgot were i read that but thats what he said, i wouldnt be surprised to see influences of there music in one another bands..and having steven wilson help produce there last 3 cds you can totally see it

Alteredmindeath said:
FEED OFF MY HATE
evilgrin.gif

You are a fucking moron.

Thats all your gonna get from me.