Best Power Metal Band -Round 1-

Which Of These Power Metal Bands is the Best?

• Nightwish

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Sonata Arctica

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Stratovarius

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Kamelot

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Rhapsody

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Angra

• ManoWar

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Blind Guardian

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Hammerfall

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Symphony X

• Total voters
Or just boot ALL the bands who share the lowest score, before moving on to the next round. That way oversight omissions such as Gamma Ray, and any other bands people care to suggest, can take their place in the ensuing rounds and keep the poll on the right track to find, indeed, which power metal band is the "best".

How constructive and intelligent of you to point out.
I don't suppose it ever occured to you that some people might sincerely appreciate these bands?
I know I like Nightwish; they're nowhere near my favorite band, hell, I don't even know which is, but they're still good. Stratovarius are good as well.
But just because you don't like something doesn't mean it sucks. Nor does it mean that no one should "take them seriously".

I pick Blind Guardian, although they are far beyond "power metal" these days, thankfully. In fact they never were Power Metal, not much Helloween going on in any BG album...Manowar and SX don't fit here either. I would have included Edguy and Gamma Ray, honestly...

Originally posted by krapylet

I've never heard Blind Guardian, is it good? Is there somewhere I can get a song? What song/album should I be on the lookout for?

If you havent heard Blind Guardian you have really missed out on some great Power Metal.

They have developed from a power metal band with the likes in HammerFall and Rhapsody to a more symphonic epic power metal band, sounds really great (if you are into power metal of course ;))
You should check out Nightfall in Middle earth, a 100% Tolkien album, and maybe their best one so far.
And for some more syphonic stuff, I recommend their latest album A Night at The Opera, not very heavy, but has some truely great stuff.
You can find some of their stuff at mp3.com here http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/5/blind_guardian.html

Woh, I think nightwish's latest album Century Child is really awsome. I agree it's one of the catchiest records they made making it lean towards the "pop band", but it still has heavy guitar riffs and very good bass lines which certainly keeps it metal all the way. Nightwish is certainly power-metal for those who believe not. Listen to Crownless or any Wishmaster song for the fact, the drumming and the playing is power-metal style. Nightwish is a combinaison of Symphonic metal and Power Metal, i don't see it fit in any other category.