Best reamp/DI unit

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I know this one comes up fairly often, but I'd just like to hear it straight from the horse's mouth, if you know what I mean.

Basically I'm kitting out my set-up to allow for some direct amp recording, and I'd like an uber-transparent reamp/DI combo to use for that purpose. So far only the Little Labs Red Eye comes to mind, but is there any more, or any cost effective options that are still very much transparent?

Thank you!

Aside from the Red Eye you could possibly look at using a passive DI in reverse which was how it was done pre-Cuniberti's reamp box. That route can be tougher to get good results due to level/impedance mismatches but it worked for the Beatles, etc.

A Radial ProRMP is a passive reamp unit and will set you back a little less than the Radial X-Amp. I use one of those in conjunction with either a J48 DI (clean) or the DI on my Solo 610 pre (coloured).

I'd say for your needs, the Little Labs is the best bet though....

Cool, thanks. Seems like it's either the X-amp or Red Eye. Hopefully I'll have a reasonable DI as part of my future mic pre. Being active, is the X-amp more transparent than the Red Eye for reamping duties?

i would buy this one

mw1_960x500_24.jpg

http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/MW1.html

edit: maybe i should add that i can`t afford it either :lol:

Being active, is the X-amp more transparent than the Red Eye for reamping duties?

Actually, if anything it'd be the exact opposite Ermin - think about the debate over passive vs. active monitor controllers, active is more likely to induce coloration into the signal. And since it's transforming from a high level, lo-Z signal to a low level, hi-Z signal, it's not like you need to worry about signal loss (though always best to keep the cable lengths from the re-amp box to the amp as short as possible, thus having your long cable length occur with the balanced cable from the interface to the re-amp box).

I did a BOATLOAD of research on this before I bought my Redeye this summer, and I was only considering the Cuniberti Reamp as the other option, cuz the ONLY advantage of the X-amp is that it has two outputs (big whoop, with re-amping you can just re-amp as many times as you want! :Smug: ), and the disadvantage of course being the power supply, which gives more potential for line noise or a ground loop. So passive is definitely the way to go, and the Redeye has a plenty kickass transformer like the Reamp but lets it be used as a DI as well for only $25 US more, so that's what I went for!

Oh, and although the DI functionality is just icing on the cake, I haven't had the chance to compare the DI on my Redeye to anything except the instrument inputs on my Onyx Satellite, but although the difference was subtle, the Redeye tracks definitely sounded noticeably clearer and more detailed. So it beats an interface inst. in, anyway!

Yup, my Redeye rules. Way better off getting a separate DI then tracking direct into your interface though, at least that way you can play through an amp at the same time to monitor and record that signal in case it ends up sounding good enough to be the final product. Unless of course you use the real time monitoring in your interface and route the instrument input through one of the analog outs, then into your Reamp box and THEN into an amp... Using a DI just seems so much fucking simpler though!

Just so everyone knows, the Xamp is almost the exact same circuit as the Cuniberti Reamp device.... You can look it up, Radial pays Cuniberti to use the patent. That may or may not affect your buying choice, as from what I've seen they use the same parts(specifically the same Jensen transformer).

If you just need a good all in one reamp and di device, the Redeye is a nobrainer .

The Cuniberti uses a Jensen transformer? On the site, it says "Ultra high quality custom transformer designed for one purpose with MuMetal shielding." And I would assume there would be some pretty big differences as well because the X-amp is active; maybe you're thinking of the ProRMP Eric?

Actually, if anything it'd be the exact opposite Ermin - think about the debate over passive vs. active monitor controllers, active is more likely to induce coloration into the signal. And since it's transforming from a high level, lo-Z signal to a low level, hi-Z signal, it's not like you need to worry about signal loss (though always best to keep the cable lengths from the re-amp box to the amp as short as possible, thus having your long cable length occur with the balanced cable from the interface to the re-amp box).

I did a BOATLOAD of research on this before I bought my Redeye this summer, and I was only considering the Cuniberti Reamp as the other option, cuz the ONLY advantage of the X-amp is that it has two outputs (big whoop, with re-amping you can just re-amp as many times as you want! :Smug: ), and the disadvantage of course being the power supply, which gives more potential for line noise or a ground loop. So passive is definitely the way to go, and the Redeye has a plenty kickass transformer like the Reamp but lets it be used as a DI as well for only $25 US more, so that's what I went for!

Actually, in the debate of active vs passive for transparency, high-level active wins out. Think of the Cranesong Avocet as opposed to an all-passive device like an SM Pro Audio Mpatch 2. The passive components in the Mpatch cause slight variances throughout the frequency spectrum and of course balance shifts due to resistor variances. This isn't even going into the high-end loss with the passive controller unless you're using high capacitance cables to your speakers. Passive in theory is good, and in practice it's not bad, but it's not perfectly transparent.

My question I suppose is, 'is the Red Eye good *enough*?'.

Thank you all for your opinions so far.

Is there a good online retailer to purchase this unit from? I can't seem to find any units on ebay (for better or worse) and here in Australia one place had it listed for $480 AUD :zombie:

Nice choice Ermin! Can't wait for you to start following through on all these tantalizing offers ;) (shootouts, re-amping, putting on a purple thing and dancing around :lol: )

The Cuniberti uses a Jensen transformer? On the site, it says "Ultra high quality custom transformer designed for one purpose with MuMetal shielding." And I would assume there would be some pretty big differences as well because the X-amp is active; maybe you're thinking of the ProRMP Eric?

You are most likely right :) I'm just going off of forum rumors