best DI unit?

steveguitarplayer

New Metal Member
Dec 9, 2008
Hi

Im just wondering what people think is the best DI unit to record with? specifically for guitars (to reamp later) and for bass too. Ive heard of a few
such as the countryman FET85, avalon U5 and a few others are good but there is quite a different price jump from the countryman to the U5. Any other DI suggestions would be helpful too. The 2\two DI's i mentioned are the ones i have my eye on at the moment. Thanks for your help

I did a shootout some time ago and found the Countryman to definitely be the best! And there's no way the Avalon is worth it, at least for guitar/bass (maybe for Piezo pickups or something, but still) - it's a DI for fuck's sake, the Countryman has a super-high input impedance (desirable) and low noise, what more could you want? ;)

I don't have any scientific info to back this up, but I've owned both the Avalon and the Countryman, and the Countryman KILLS the Avalon. As a DI, I must say I thought the Avalon sucked big time. The countryman sounds simply amazing with all of my guitars - Les Paul Std., SG Std., and Fender American Std. P-Bass (all with stock passive pickups).

The unit is SILENT, and built like a tank. It was a GREAT addition to my studio, and was really very affordable for what it does. I NEVER track an instrument without it.

Bobby

I think the avalon U5 is fantastic but not as a "clean" unit. The whole point of that box is flavor. It has a tone knob.
I'm with Marcus that if you want a reamp DI the countryman is a great choice.