Best release by an 80s band... from this past decade?

Here's two for me.

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings is as good as anything they've ever done IMO

Is it really that good? I lost interest in DT after Train of Thought. With them going out with Maiden this summer, I have more of an interest in checking out their more recent stuff I missed out on. I did get Systematic Chaos and like it a lot. There's two nods in this thread for BC&SL. What other DT disc would you most compare it to?

Is it really that good? I lost interest in DT after Train of Thought. With them going out with Maiden this summer, I have more of an interest in checking out their more recent stuff I missed out on. I did get Systematic Chaos and like it a lot. There's two nods in this thread for BC&SL. What other DT disc would you most compare it to?

Honestly, it sounds like an amalgamation of everything they have done..... The overall sounds continues what they built on the last few albums, but the songwriting might be kicked up a notch. "Count of Tuscany" is worth the price of the album alone. If you liked "Chaos" (which I love by the way) you'll certainly enjoy "Black Clouds".

In my opinion BC&SL is better, by a significant margin, than Systematic.

I'm in the minority there. I actually like Systematic much better than BC & SL. Though, I will have to agree with someone in saying that "The Count of Tuscany" is worth the price alone, I just find Systematic more consistent. The new one definitely is more a combination of everything they've done though.

In a million years, I will never be able to separate DANGER DANGER from DANGEROUS TOYS. Too similar of a name. I know one of those band's lead singers is now in IGNITOR.

:lol:...yep, those two bands have nothing in common! Danger Danger being late 80s, early 90s pretty boy hard rock and Dangerous Toys being down right sleaze rock. I'm not familiar with Ignitor, but I'm guessing it's Jason McMaster from Dangerous Toys.

~Brian~

I was listening to Megadeth's United Abominations yesterday. I think it just may be the finest release of this last decade (2000 - 2009), by a band from the 80s.

Interesting, given the politically-charged nature of many of the songs on this disc and your documented disdain for Jon Schaffer's recent solo project dealing with much of the same subject matter on, "United Abominations" - i.e. personal distrust of federal/world government and big business/banking.

I will echo Fates Warning x, Jag Panzer's Thane, and the new DT album. Jag is just a bad ass band that turns out killer music over and over again!

Interesting, given the politically-charged nature of many of the songs on this disc and your documented disdain for Jon Schaffer's recent solo project dealing with much of the same subject matter on, "United Abominations" - i.e. personal distrust of federal/world government and big business/banking.
As there's no way for me to answer this question without another thread being derailed by politics, I'll PM you.

I will echo Fates Warning x, Jag Panzer's Thane, and the new DT album. Jag is just a bad ass band that turns out killer music over and over again!

I know I got into the DT discussion, but would we really consider DT an 80s band? They only had one 80s release and it wasn't exactly big at the time or now for that matter.

:lol:...yep, those two bands have nothing in common! Danger Danger being late 80s, early 90s pretty boy hard rock and Dangerous Toys being down right sleaze rock. I'm not familiar with Ignitor, but I'm guessing it's Jason McMaster from Dangerous Toys.

Correct, Jason McMaster is in Ignitor. Speaking of Dangerous Toys, I'm pumped to see that, for some unknown reason, they have a show scheduled for Minnesota this summer! :headbang: Generally, it seems like they only have the occasional reunion show in Austin, TX (their hometown).

EASY question for me and I'm surprised more on this board haven't named it. Best album in the past 10 years by an 80s band is SAVATAGE - POETS AND MADMEN. That is probably my favorite Savatage album, although I do question my judgment anytime I listen to Gutter Ballet or Streets. PaM I listen to the most though.

So... if you had to pick one release from this past decade (2000 - 2009), by a band whose debut was released during the 1980s, which release would it be?

lets see, off the top of my head, I'll have to go with...

1. Iron Maiden- Dance of Death (2003)
2. Guns n' Roses- Chinese Democracy (2008)
3. Bang Tango- Ready to Go (2005)
4. Domain- Last Days of Utopia (2005)
5. Domain- Chronicles of Love, Hate, & Sorrow (2009)
6. Rage- Speak of the Dead (2006)
7. Rage- Carved in Stone (2008)
8. Queensryche- Operation: Mindcrime II (2006)
9. Doro- Warrior Soul (2006)
10. TSOL- Disappear (2001)
11. Paradox- Electrify (2008)
12. Motley Crue- New Tattoo (2000)
13. Grave Digger- The Grave Digger (2001)
14. Iron Maiden- Brave New World (2000)
15. Helloween- Gambling With the Devil (2008)
16. The Cult- Beyond Good and Evil (2001)
17. Pink Cream 69- Thunderdome (2004)
18. Pretty Maids- Wake Up To The Real World (2006)

** Not in order, except for the first two.