Best release by an 80s band... from this past decade?

Danger Danger-Revolve is number 1

Really? I'm a big D2 fan, but Revolve is pretty darned disappointing to me. I was hoping they'd put out a Screw It part II, but nothing even close. Bruno claimed that Revolve would be cock rock, but it's simply melodic rock at best. IMO, they're not utilizing Rob Mercello well at all.

~Brian~

In a million years, I will never be able to separate DANGER DANGER from DANGEROUS TOYS. Too similar of a name. I know one of those band's lead singers is now in IGNITOR.

I actually really like their 80's hair metal styled albums (Noble Savage, Life Among the Ruins). I think they peaked with "Marriage of Heaven and Hell", but sadly never really evolved at all from there.
I don't know if that's entirely fair to say; Invictus has a very different feel than MoHaH, and generally less emphasis on synth. Same reason I enjoyed VoE, the synth is there, but it's a little further back in the mix, and there aren't any of those unnecessary and corny Casio interludes/filler. But you know, I'm not going to argue about their 80's stuff, I just ..heavily dislike the hair metal style in general, so I'm not in any position to be making objective statements about quality, there. Maybe the reason they haven't recorded anything since is because Defeiss is out shopping for a new keyboard.

LOL! I've said the same thing many times!

Becuase it's F*ing true! I think nearly all VS stuff would be better with higher quality synth, or even better, with full orchestration, but that's never going to happen.

Also, Judas Priest's Angel of Retribution, probably deserves a mention, but the "revolution" track really kills it for me. I also really enjoyed the first disc of Nostradamus, but that's far from being on any 'best' lists.

Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera

Surprised you are the only one who mentioned this one. While it isn't their best album, it is a pretty good one and probably would be my nomination.

Honorable Mentions:

Jag Panzer - Casting The Stones
Helloween - Gambling With The Devil
Megadeth - United Abominations

Celtic Frost-Monotheist
Candlemass-Death Magic Doom
Pagan Altar-Lords of Hypocrisy and Mythical and Magical

TESTAMENT's The Formation Of Damnation is possibly one of the best thrash albums of the last five years and proves why this band will always remain at the top.
testamenttfod.jpg

Crazy. I seriously had no clue. Never heard a peep anywhere about this release here in the states. Seriously, not on TV, radio, newspaper, anywhere.

To me, it just seemed like it was released with very little impact.

Yep. It did sell well, though even though it sold that many, it sold a LOT less than they were expecting. Then again, they were practically expecting a record sales which was a nutty expectation.

Also, Rolling Stone talked about it a bit and listed it as the 10th best album of that year. So, it did get some publicity. The problem is that Best Buy did a shitty job advertising it as did Axl, and it took him way too long to start the tour, so I can perfectly understand why you would've thought what you thought.

I have to go with Megadeth Untied Abominations album. I have the poster of that album in my room. It was a great album, to bad "Endgame" Was the end of their game.