best sounding expansion for superior drummer?

Incognito Man

Jan 27, 2009
hello, just got SD 2.0 so im a total noob to what drumkit sample expansions sound best with it for death/thrash metal.

I currently have metal machine but i am wondering what else to look at.

thanks.

thanks Jim!

No prob! Didn't mean to be snarky, just that there are some threads you can find discussing this in more detail than you might get here, since the packs are a couple of years old. I mentioned Foundry because it's a Superior Drummer expansion proper, but I tend to agree with Jeff; Metal Machine is all you'll really need.

I just got Superior a couple of months ago, and I generally blend the Metal Machine kicks with samples I've found on this forum, and I use the Avatar snare with a Metal Machine snare or two, and sometimes an additional pre-processed snare like the browning snare. Long as you blend them well, it sounds more than adequate. The Metal Foundry SDX is $99 you don't really need to spend unless you want the midi loops, but I think you can purchase those separately if memory serves.

Avatar and TMF come with midi loops.

I found the midi stuff that came with Metal Machine to be mostly unusable.

Yeah, I can't really imagine any song where it would sound good, hahah. The midi from MM sounds like it's halfway between rock and metal, but not particularly good for either.

Not to hijack the thread, but quick questions:

1. What's the best of the Dirk watshisface midi packs on Toontrack? I hate programming fills but there are 3 different packs and I don't know which one to get.

2. Do you guys use your DAW's piano roll or EZ Player to program your drums? I don't know if it's worth investing the time in learning how to use EZ Player if it isn't more user-friendly somehow.

How are you able to blend samples from 2 different kits? I dont see how you can load 2 kits at once for blending.

Also is it possable to add and or remove kit pieces?

Yes.
It's called "X-Drums", and it allows you to load any piece from any kit, and map the mics like you want.
You have to load a "main kit" first.

Explained in the manual and here :
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH3bVYSFMUU&"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH3bVYSFMUU&[/ame]

MM is great but I like music city quite a bit also for more rock stuff ...those are my two favs

Thanks for that video, I had no idea you could do that!

Can you load you own samples into SD?

No, you'll have to use an external trigger. I've heard apTrigga is good, and your DAW may have something that works for you. I'm in Reaper, and I use a 3rd party JS plugin called DrumReaplacer that works fantastically and is free. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with anything other than Reaper.

Yeah, I can't really imagine any song where it would sound good, hahah. The midi from MM sounds like it's halfway between rock and metal, but not particularly good for either.

Not to hijack the thread, but quick questions:

1. What's the best of the Dirk watshisface midi packs on Toontrack? I hate programming fills but there are 3 different packs and I don't know which one to get.

2. Do you guys use your DAW's piano roll or EZ Player to program your drums? I don't know if it's worth investing the time in learning how to use EZ Player if it isn't more user-friendly somehow.

In my opinion the first one from Dirk is the best because FUCK programming convincing blast beats. :lol:

Metal Machine has nice toms and nice cymbals. Not a big fan of the kicks and the snares are so-so. As with any of this stuff, a mixture tends to work best. I've not used it but I'm told the Custom & Vintage pack has really nice stuff for metal.