Best steel strings for huge tracks

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
my bassist usually uses Ernie ball but we are thinking about switching to steel string for the latest couple songs were are recording. I've heard great things about fat beams but unfortunately they don't make all the gauges we need. What are your opinions on prosteel and hi-beams. Will they sound worse then fat beams in a mix. We are using a modded Mexican jazz bass with custom 60 pickups. Think soad aerials kind of tone.

I personally like the Power Steel bass strings from SIT. And, I couldn't really describe why. Just sound really good to my ears.

I am also concerned that losing any tension will cause tubing issues. So what do you guys think about lo riders or ddt strings compared to prosteels (since they have a little more tension)?

I don't think the lo riders have any more tension but rather are simply stiffer. I've used pro steels for a long time and when I tried the DR's (low riders and black beauties) they didn't work as well for me. I found them more expensive, less bright and shorter lived. Mind you they were good strings and sounded good, but I prefered the pro-steels. Obviously lots of guys love DR though so YMMV.

Personally my favorite tone is hi beams. But my bassist doesn't like the super clank. And plus we have a lot of clean parts, so would the clank sound dumb? And since the hi beams are a bit less stiff/lower tension will it be harder to intonate and tune?

We were thinking about going with lo riders for the balance between tone, tuning, and playability, but I do like how the hi beams sound a bit more.

It kind of seems like you already have your mind made up for strings. As far as clean sections go, if you use appropriate technique for the section it should be fine. At worst, raise the action a bit and go back and re-record those parts with a lighter right hand.