Best studio monitors for under $350?

Metalman X

Human Beer Keg
I don't have a big budget....at all....even $350 is gonna be a stretch right now...but I need some decent reference monitors for doing my mixes. This is something that I've stupidly gone without for awhile now. But I'm currently working on a record I pln to market and sell, and would like to get the best I can out of the small resources I have.

So, basically, what are some good options for monitors for my DAW? I'm running an M-Audio Delta 1010lt sound card, if that makes a difference to anything. Also, my style is dark, aggressive death/blackmetal, with ambient/gothic textures, if that also holds any relevance.

I just want something thats gonna give me a good representation of whats going on in my mixes....something pretty neutral, and clean/fairly uncolored sounding I suppose. The M-Audio BX5a's have been suggested to me, but what else would be my options...anything better? What should I be looking for, spec wise and so forth.

So, hopefully I came to the right place... :headbang: :kickass:

I say save another $100-150 and get something that don't need a subwoofer. the range of BX5a is 56Hz-22kHz, when you compare it to for example BX8a that has 40Hz-22kHz. I have the Genelec 8030's that are 58Hz-20kHz and they sound quite thin without a subwoofer unless you play them loud like a motherfucker

+1

Got rokit 6 and loving them

my mate has them and the bottom end is very coloured, he also cant hear his editing glitches etc on em, so he thinks a mix is done, brings it over to my setup and i can hear all sorts going on. Im using the passive alesis monitors, really nice, ive been using them for 3-4 years and overall for the price they are pretty accurate, but its wether or not you want a passive setup with an amp etc, and the convenience of the active monitors is a big factor.

It's worth noting that a room plays a much larger factor in audio reproduction than monitors do. So if your mate has major issues with his low-end, they are more than likely coming from the environment. What size room is he working in, and how much bass trapping does it have? I heard the Gen 2 RP6s against some other cheap monitors like A7s, BM5As, 8040As and they held their own rather well. In fact I preferred them to all the monitors there apart from the Event Opals.

It's worth noting that a room plays a much larger factor in audio reproduction than monitors do. So if your mate has major issues with his low-end, they are more than likely coming from the environment. What size room is he working in, and how much bass trapping does it have? I heard the Gen 2 RP6s against some other cheap monitors like A7s, BM5As, 8040As and they held their own rather well. In fact I preferred them to all the monitors there apart from the Event Opals.

i believe its the original rockit rp6 monitors, i aint heard the gen 2 (and i heard/read that the low end is much improved with the newer generation models), well we've taken the monitors to different rooms and control rooms at the studios, all with very good bass trapping, and then mine with minimal bass trapping and its a generic issue. i dunno, i guess they dont suit my ears! :)

Yeah, the original series blow. I was under the impression that opeth57 was talking about owning the Gen 2s. The originals have all sort of strange peaks and dips. Very hard to mix on.

i wouldnt mind trying a gen 2 set at some point, but im fine with what ive got at the moment and havent really the money for a second set of monitors. ive heard the 7 or 8 inch versions are pretty decent and have good write ups in SoS magazine over here

Ah, cool....lotsa' input already! Thanx guys!!!! :headbang: :kickass:

So, right now it looks like a toss up between the Gen 2 KRK's and the M-Audio BX5a's. And some possible used options.

I'm planning on going over to GC Friday and bringing a CD-R of some of my own material to actually reference at least the KRK's and M-Audio's in person, and if they have some decent used ones in this range, those as well....(but I don't think they really do much in the way of used monitors). I got my best friend coming along too, who's got like, super sharp ears, so I'll be getting some input there as well.

Any others I should keep an ear out for?

I say save another $100-150 and get something that don't need a subwoofer. the range of BX5a is 56Hz-22kHz, when you compare it to for example BX8a that has 40Hz-22kHz. I have the Genelec 8030's that are 58Hz-20kHz and they sound quite thin without a subwoofer unless you play them loud like a motherfucker

Hmmm...I'll make a note of that. If not possible though, would I be able to ADD a subwoofer at a later time if I feel it's needed? Maaaaaybe I can talk one of the guys down on price on a BX8, if you feel their a better option

You should check out the Alesis Monitor 1 MkII's. I got a set here in the US for 299. They may not be in stock anymore, but definitely a nice monitor for the price. IMO they sound a bit better than the Rockit stuff most people point to in this price range. The low end is pretty decent as well (6.5" woofer).