Best studio monitors for under $350?

Hmmm...I'll make a note of that. If not possible though, would I be able to ADD a subwoofer at a later time if I feel it's needed? Maaaaaybe I can talk one of the guys down on price on a BX8, if you feel their a better option

Keep in mind that 2-way systems are compromises. If you get one that goes down into the subs solidly, chances are that extension comes from heavy porting, and at the expense of midrange clarity.

There is nothing wrong with getting small monitors with 5" drivers, then supplementing them with a sub to take you to 30hz land afterwards. On the contrary, you will in fact be gaining efficiency as you high pass your monitors/satellites at 80Hz or so, so they can focus more on reproducing the midrange.

Well assuming the OP is new, if his pricerange is $350 (and thats already going out on a limb) I think that unless he goes used and takes a little risk, the krks or bx5s, truly are his best choice..I myself have the KRK8s and they are very flat and have plenty of bumb...and Ryan (Catharsis) obviously gets great mixes out of his untreated room and his KRK5s.:)

maybe if lows are an issue, try the 6's?

Also, to your question of what to keep an ear out for when listeing on different monitors...you want them to be flat, you cant judge them by saying oh my mix sounds better on these..thatd actually be the monitor you dont want..because it doesnt show you your mistakes.

Let us know how it goes on GC Friday!:) Good luck

You should check out the Alesis Monitor 1 MkII's. I got a set here in the US for 299. They may not be in stock anymore, but definitely a nice monitor for the price. IMO they sound a bit better than the Rockit stuff most people point to in this price range. The low end is pretty decent as well (6.5" woofer).

+1 the low end is good, partly due to the double ported front design. Pretty good allrounders with nothing majorly wrong with them as far as i can tell. Or maybe i've just got used to them

+1 the low end is good, partly due to the double ported front design. Pretty good allrounders with nothing majorly wrong with them as far as i can tell. Or maybe i've just got used to them

you talking about the active versions? as they are really really bad for low end, very boomy, not very clear, two of my friends have them and ive given them a thourogh listening and they are very very different from the passive versions.

you talking about the active versions? as they are really really bad for low end, very boomy, not very clear, two of my friends have them and ive given them a thourogh listening and they are very very different from the passive versions.

mmm:erk:

they don't seem too bad in my room, and my room is actually really boomey for bass as it is.

Maybe i should borrowa set of my dad's absolute zeros and do some sort of comparison

Keep in mind that 2-way systems are compromises. If you get one that goes down into the subs solidly, chances are that extension comes from heavy porting, and at the expense of midrange clarity.

There is nothing wrong with getting small monitors with 5" drivers, then supplementing them with a sub to take you to 30hz land afterwards. On the contrary, you will in fact be gaining efficiency as you high pass your monitors/satellites at 80Hz or so, so they can focus more on reproducing the midrange.

Ah, duly noted! :kickass:

Well assuming the OP is new, if his pricerange is $350 (and thats already going out on a limb) I think that unless he goes used and takes a little risk, the krks or bx5s, truly are his best choice..I myself have the KRK8s and they are very flat and have plenty of bumb...and Ryan (Catharsis) obviously gets great mixes out of his untreated room and his KRK5s.:)

maybe if lows are an issue, try the 6's?

Also, to your question of what to keep an ear out for when listeing on different monitors...you want them to be flat, you cant judge them by saying oh my mix sounds better on these..thatd actually be the monitor you dont want..because it doesnt show you your mistakes.

Let us know how it goes on GC Friday!:) Good luck

True...that's what I'm assuming...I need something that shows what I may be doing wrong (I've a feeling that may get ugly...but them's the breaks). Anything is a step up from what I'm doing now...which is playing back through my home stereo...which is a 500watt amp hooked upto two huge fridge sized towers...each one loaded w/ 2x15's, an 8" mid driver and a horn for highs....sure, they sound huge, and get real loud.....but hardly a way to really get a true, neutral, objective view of my work, even w/ all the EQ's set flat.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but what is you guys' opinion on the Behringer Truth monitors? A local store has a pair of those for pretty cheap, and, apparently, new, they're in the same price range.

I couldn't help but notice Behringers new monitor:

B1030A_P0A0X_Right_web.png

krk-rokit-g2-monitorsrp5_g2_front.jpg

Hmmm...

More on topic, the KRK's are great speakers, produce pretty clear mixes, I'm happy with my 2nd gen Rokit 5's.

I think dealing with just about any monitors in this price range you are going to have to compromise.

I like the M1 MkII's I have - for the price. I usually mix on a few sets of monitors (none of them high priced, though), and I find them to be satisfactory for their purpose. I use them as my "mobile monitors" for location recording, and for reference. I find them to be even enough when setting guitar levels, which is where I use them most. You can also reduce some of the boominess by plugging the ports (or just one port). Paired with a sub and plugging the ports, you can get a pretty nice even spread.

For 200-300 new (I think these are slowly being phased out), I think they are nice enough.

I've heard some places that use them, and they sound pretty different in different settings. In one control that was small, but treated well, they sounded fantastic. Completely different than how they do at my house.

Perhaps look for Yammy HS-80's. The local GC has dropped the NEW price on these to around 560 a pair. That may drop the used price somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 these days.

True...that's what I'm assuming...I need something that shows what I may be doing wrong (I've a feeling that may get ugly...but them's the breaks). Anything is a step up from what I'm doing now...

Thats what I thought, I was in your same position about a couple months ago, wanting to buy my first set of monitors..but dont have a lot of money:loco:

At this point I think you stand between the KRKs, bx5s, or the alesis....either way like you said, its a huge upgrade..so scope around, see which ones you like the look of, see if you can find one of them cheaper somewhere, and go ahead and buy one!:)

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but what is you guys' opinion on the Behringer Truth monitors? A local store has a pair of those for pretty cheap, and, apparently, new, they're in the same price range.

I have a set of the passive Truth's, the 6.5" woofer one (2030P's IIRC).

For what they are (and how much I paid for them), I like them OK. I still use them when I mix. They are a little Hi-Fi sounding (tame mids), and they are weak on low end, but I use a sub with them. I got them a few years back when I was just getting into all this for 130 for the pair (remember, passive).

I still use them more than my Alesis monitors and my B&W 603's. I guess I'm used to them.

Joeymusicguy used to use them, and his mixes came out great on them. I believe Tue Madsen did (or still does) use them for reference.

Öwen;8282323 said:
I couldn't help but notice Behringers new monitor:

B1030A_P0A0X_Right_web.png

krk-rokit-g2-monitorsrp5_g2_front.jpg

Hmmm...

More on topic, the KRK's are great speakers, produce pretty clear mixes, I'm happy with my 2nd gen Rokit 5's.

ever compared the behringer 2031's to genelec 1031's?

fucking shameful...

I've got the B2030A, 6.5" actives.

I'd pick them over the M-Audio BX series. They're quite decent at that price.

However, I'm thinking of switching to Yamaha monitors, if only because it looks better on the equipment list!

I seem to remember often reading that the 2030's are quite decent, while the 2031's are absolutely atrocious (I think it was Torniojaws who said this, maybe he can chime in)

I've got the B2030A, 6.5" actives.

I'd pick them over the M-Audio BX series. They're quite decent at that price.

However, I'm thinking of switching to Yamaha monitors, if only because it looks better on the equipment list!

I'll keep them in mind....I really don't mind Behringer gear....I got one of those Model T1953 Tube mic pre's and it serves me quite well....I even use a Tube Ultra-Gain Mic200 to sweeten up and limit the direct out of my pre-amp to my soundcard (I use Impulses after that, as opposed to mic'ing....could never get a good room sound where I'm at). Both work pretty good for their purposes