Best studio monitors for under $350?

I have a set of the passive Truth's, the 6.5" woofer one (2030P's IIRC).

For what they are (and how much I paid for them), I like them OK. I still use them when I mix. They are a little Hi-Fi sounding (tame mids), and they are weak on low end, but I use a sub with them. I got them a few years back when I was just getting into all this for 130 for the pair (remember, passive).

I still use them more than my Alesis monitors and my B&W 603's. I guess I'm used to them.

Joeymusicguy used to use them, and his mixes came out great on them. I believe Tue Madsen did (or still does) use them for reference.
Thanks. I remember you recommended the Alesis as well. I've been trying to hunt those down here, but no success so far.

I've got the B2030A, 6.5" actives.

I'd pick them over the M-Audio BX series. They're quite decent at that price.

However, I'm thinking of switching to Yamaha monitors, if only because it looks better on the equipment list!
What do you think are their strenghts and weaknesses?

I seem to remember often reading that the 2030's are quite decent, while the 2031's are absolutely atrocious (I think it was Torniojaws who said this, maybe he can chime in)
What's the difference between both?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, folks: Friends don't let friends buy Behringer.

Stick with the BX5A, or as wisely pointed out, a used set of Yamahas, either NS10M or HS80M. Or even V or VXT series KRKs. All of these will not only put together more balanced mixes but runs a much lower chance of blowing up within 6-18 months.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, folks: Friends don't let friends buy Behringer.

Stick with the BX5A, or as wisely pointed out, a used set of Yamahas, either NS10M or HS80M. Or even V or VXT series KRKs. All of these will not only put together more balanced mixes but runs a much lower chance of blowing up within 6-18 months.

So, are the KRK's considered at least on par, if not better than M-Audio in terms of quality?

As a side note, after reading through all this, more an more I'm thinking I'm gonna try and score a set w/ a sub of some sort as well. I play some pretty low-tuned, dark/doomy stuff....so accurate representation of what the low end is really doing will probably serve me well

got a pair of m-audio ex66 for $300 new in box from the gain website.
I love em, if you know someone who works at guitar center talk to them.

got a pair of m-audio ex66 for $300 new in box from the gain website.
I love em, if you know someone who works at guitar center talk to them.

I just read up on those...seem pretty sweet....the low-freq response goes down to 37hz...so maybe I wouldn't need a sub with those?

I used to work at my local GC, and the two main guys in pro-audio know me from than, and always help me out...so I'm hoping friday won't be an exception.

I just read up on those...seem pretty sweet....the low-freq response goes down to 37hz...so maybe I wouldn't need a sub with those?

I used to work at my local GC, and the two main guys in pro-audio know me from than, and always help me out...so I'm hoping friday won't be an exception.

There's still a slope, not matter what.
A sub is mandatory.

Ive been using 2 KRK rokit5s and a KRK 10s for about 2 years, I have to say they are simply no frills no BS reliable monitors. I like them and wont look to upgrade until they decide to puke.

Well....after some deliberation, and comparing, I got me a set of M-Audio BX8A Deluxes'

So far, these are way better than what I was expecting. Good stuff...and surprisingly loud too...way more so than I'll need for these purposes. But nothin' wrong with that. I even got'em to throw in a bass trap for me, since my console is in a corner.

Only downside thus far is their a little cramped on my desk though...but I'm making it work :kickass:

Yeah, they're definitely decent monitors, but yes, for the love of god, bass traps and pads to decouple 'em from your desk are a must, cuz there is so much fucking low-end from those things it's absurd!

Yeah, they're definitely decent monitors, but yes, for the love of god, bass traps and pads to decouple 'em from your desk are a must, cuz there is so much fucking low-end from those things it's absurd!

I got a bass trap right behind them. I also have the pads that came w/ the monitors under them, but there very thin...I may set up something more substantial between them and the desk

I hate to sound like a dick, but it really irks me when people recommend the NS10's as a primary set of monitors. Yes, they are excellent speakers for what they do, which is REFERENCING, but for the only pair of monitors... I really wouldn't recommend that. I know there's some engineers who get great results by mixing primarily on NS10's, but then again you can tune a 1989 Fiat Uno to nearly 200HP and beat some track records with it, but I still wouldn't recommend that to someone looking for a good, cheap race car.

Sorry to hijack a bit (not a frequent poster by a long shot hahah)

but I'm pulling the trigger on either KRK Rokit 8's or the BX8a Deluxes. Any further steering from anyone on which pair to pick?

Sorry to hijack a bit (not a frequent poster by a long shot hahah)

but I'm pulling the trigger on either KRK Rokit 8's or the BX8a Deluxes. Any further steering from anyone on which pair to pick?

Well...FWIW, I thought the BX8's we're a little bit more clearer, and hi-fi sounding. Close though. But I ultimately chose the BX8's over the KRK's. Both are excellent though, for the price, it seems.