Best Thrash Singer

Ninja

Trainee Cenobite
Nov 17, 2002
UK
web.icq.com
Who would you say has the best vocal chords in thrash?

For me, it's neck and neck between Tom Araya and Chuck Billy.

I'd have to go with Max Cavlera(sp?) and Joe Comeau

Max for his raw power. And of course I'm talkin about his Sepultura days.

Joe because his vocal range is far and wide. He can sing like B.Dickenson to Bon Scott to Tom Araya and still keep his own style of singing. Joe the current lead singer for Annihilator. (in case you didn't know)

Neil Turbin sounds awesome on Fistful Of Metal! Best thrash vocals I've heard are on that album. But that's all I've heard him on.

Other favourites are Joey Belladona and the dude from Heathen. I kinda like Dave Mustaine's snarl too.

Forgot about John Cyriis. Unstoppable Force is a must for any collection.

While I'm here, whatever happened to Sy Keeler, vocalist with UK thrash Gods Onslaught? Now there was the voice of an angel. :D

Originally posted by Guardian of Darkness
Hetfield's voice is one of the best in my book, although Metallica weren't really thrash....

Metallica weren't really thrash? If kill em' all and Fight Fire With Fire wasn't thrash I don't know what metal is:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Ultimate_Symphony
Metallica weren't really thrash? If kill em' all and Fight Fire With Fire wasn't thrash I don't know what metal is:rolleyes:

Yeah. But Kill 'em all was one album. That's one album out of...8? I don't think you can call them a thrash band on that evidence. Master of Puppets wasn't really thrash, but that is supposedly their "best" album. When bands change genres such as Metallica have done, I think we should categorise them as they were when they were most respected, or base it on the amount of albums they've made for each genre. Or perhaps we shouldn't categorise them at all....but that discussion is for a different thread.

Perhaps I'm completely missing the point here, but I actually think Hetfield's voice didn't become superb until after Kill 'em All, therefore, he isn't necessarily my favourite "thrash singer"

How would you define "thrash" then G.O.D.? If Battery and Damage Inc. ain't thrash then what is? In my opinion, Metallica ceased to be a thrash band somewhere around the time of the black album but I'd still give them credit as one of the pioneers of thrash. God rest their money grabbin' souls.

Reactions: Madgod
Hey that's how it goes. Post are often re-cunjured up, no biggie!!! At least with this post is that the chance of picking the exact same singers as the previous thread is rare.

It's the threads like "Do you like Metallica?" "US and Terrorist" it becomes redundant, annoying and overdone. ;) But then it's easy just don't go to the thread. Problem solved.

Originally posted by Guardian of Darkness
Yeah. But Kill 'em all was one album. That's one album out of...8? I don't think you can call them a thrash band on that evidence. Master of Puppets wasn't really thrash, but that is supposedly their "best" album. When bands change genres such as Metallica have done, I think we should categorise them as they were when they were most respected, or base it on the amount of albums they've made for each genre. Or perhaps we shouldn't categorise them at all....but that discussion is for a different thread.

Perhaps I'm completely missing the point here, but I actually think Hetfield's voice didn't become superb until after Kill 'em All, therefore, he isn't necessarily my favourite "thrash singer"

You can't call them a thrash band now but they certainly were and one of the pioneers of the genre. Fight Fire With Fire wasn't thrash? Creeping Death wasn't thrash? Battery wasn't thrash? Dyers Eve wasn't thrash? Damage Inc. wasn't thrash?Master of Puppets wasn't thrash? bah you get the point, Metallica was a thrash band but they aren't anymore. :) oh and btw Master Of Puppets was a thrash album and it's considered by many a masterpiece of the genre so I don't know where you get that idea.

Reactions: Kevin Christ
Chuck Billy and I'm not even a big fan of Testament