rank these thrash metal vocalists from best to worst

I keep forgetting to mention Powermad. I think only because they only released one album, if you miscount their ep. It truly is one of THE best thrash albums of all. Has a 86'-87' era Megadeth, a little 86'-88' Metallica sound to some of it. Did you ever hear of the band Heretic? That's where Howe came from, before Metal Church had him join.

And Kingdoms RISE !!! Yes I have The Heretic's release.... on cassette. I have been outbid it on Ebay for the CD many times. I love that release. You are a man after my own heart. Too bad I am straight and married. You seem like my lost long Brother. It is almost creepy how much you and I have in common considering I saw you at the Pagans Mind forum.

Bryant

I keep forgetting to mention Powermad. I think only because they only released one album, if you miscount their ep. It truly is one of THE best thrash albums of all. Has a 86'-87' era Megadeth, a little 86'-88' Metallica sound to some of it. Did you ever hear of the band Heretic? That's where Howe came from, before Metal Church had him join.

Hey, when it's all said and done, it's about the music. I'd say 90% of my music collection is of bands that can actually play. The other 10% is a mix of alternative, and punk which I like for their lyrical content. I know a little about Metal Church, but my best friend is a real big fan. He still hasn't had the chance to see them live. He likes them way more than me, so I gave him the Breaking Point album, which was on cassette, too! Korban, the guitarist was actually supposed to be the next Megadeth guitarist after the So Far, So Good, So What album, but then Dave found Marty, which was the right choice in the end, though Korban isn't too shabby.

One last notable is Mike Howe from Metal Church. I think they were more American style power metal than thrash, but "Blessing in Disguise" had quite a bit of the thrash style in it. He is one of my all-time favorite vocalists and he was great at the heavy and melodic stuff.

Bryant

I agree a 101% :headbang: and thus we're talking borderline bands I have to include Meliah Rage and both singers: Mike Munro and Paul Souza.

Yeah, they're up there with Heathen, and Forbidden with me. I have all their albums, and not a one is sub-par. When Grin came out, they decided to get experimental, and throw in a little industrial, jazz, and prog. You ever listen to the Coroner album? Half compilation, half unreleased material. They got even jazzier on that one. There was a little growling here and there, just not full on death grunting/growling. He sounded like he smoked a carton of cigs, and gargled glass before recording his vocals. Still to this day, I'll start a day with Die BY My Hand.:heh:

I got all albums I'm a huge fan of them, 'Die By My Hand' is a powerful song indeed.

One last notable is Mike Howe from Metal Church. I think they were more American style power metal than thrash, but "Blessing in Disguise" had quite a bit of the thrash style in it. He is one of my all-time favorite vocalists and he was great at the heavy and melodic stuff.

Bryant

LOVE LOVE LOVE Mike Howe. I even got to see him with MC in concert way back when. 'Badlands' is still one of the best songs of all time. However, I most definitely would not lump Metal Church in with thrash, and certainly not in the Howe era.

Steve in Philly

LOVE LOVE LOVE Mike Howe. I even got to see him with MC in concert way back when. 'Badlands' is still one of the best songs of all time. However, I most definitely would not lump Metal Church in with thrash, and certainly not in the Howe era.

Steve in Philly

I agree 100%. "Badlands" is one of the best songs ever written. And I consider Metal Church aren´t thrash metal, they are US power metal. :headbang:

For some reason I do think about them as well as Meliah rage when people talk about thrash, but I have to admit they're more on the power side than on the thrash, especially pure Bay Area thrash.

1. Paul Baloff
2. Dave Mustaine
3. Eric A.K
4. Bobby Ellsworth
5. Tom Araya
6. Joey Belladonna
7. Check Billy
8. James Hetfield
9. Steve Sousa
10. Russ Anderson (only because 'm not very familiar with Forbidden)

Honestly I don't really care for the whole second half of my list. I prefer Stace Mclaren (Razor) and Flemming Rönsdorf (Artillery) to anyone else on this list besides Baloff.

Howe's actually a born again Christian. Downright phenominal singer. Heretic's debut (and EP) were GREAT releases. The CD doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Phil Anselmo was an incredible singer. Medicine Man or Shattered was downright Halford-esque. And, like Bryant said, totally blew out his voice.

I'm a bit suprised Martin Walkyier of Sabbat doesn't get more respect as a thrash vocalist - considering how wordy the lyrics he was singing were - no one else could have carried it off - hence why Sabbat broke up after just one album with Walkyier's replacement.

As for Exodus - people seem to go for Baloff just cos he was the first singer most people heard with Exodus - that and the fact he died - Sousa was a better singer IMO - but Rob Dukes is the ideal frontman - he really suits their brutal style, as I saw recently in London.
DSC000162.jpg

As for Anthrax, they made a huge mistake by fucking off John Bush so they could do the money tour with Joey. Sound of White Noise and We've come for you all are the best Anthrax albums vocally IMO:headbang:

I'm a bit suprised Martin Walkyier of Sabbat doesn't get more respect as a thrash vocalist - considering how wordy the lyrics he was singing were

Martin is one of the most accomplished lyricist in metal, but I never liked his thrash vocals hence I could never got into Sabbat. As a matter fo fact I have some trouble with early Skyclad for the same reason. On the other hand he manged to get a in-between performance with The Clan Destined, very good folk/thrash, alas I haven't been able to get the CD.

NP: Andre Matos - 'Letting Go'

The way in which he sings on History Of A Time To Come is some of the most intense singing ever. I know Phil of Pantera is up there, but it lacks drama at times. Of course, the most vicious/intense vocals I've ever heard, are from the Morgoth album Odium.

Okay, so I really wanted to reply to this when it was first posted but I've been really busy. Guess I'll just have to ressurect it :saint:.

1. Belladonna
2. Knudtsen
3. Anderson
4. Mustaine
5. Billy
6. Ellsworth
7. Hetfield
8. Souza
9. Araya
10. Baloff

Okay, so I really wanted to reply to this when it was first posted but I've been really busy. Guess I'll just have to ressurect it :saint:.

1. Belladonna
2. Knudtsen
3. Anderson
4. Mustaine
5. Billy
6. Ellsworth
7. Hetfield
8. Souza
9. Araya
10. Baloff

thats pretty close to mine and you have the good singers near the top. you are my friend :)

1 Chuck Billy
2 Dave Mustane
3 James Hetfield
4 Joey Belladonna
5 Tom Araya
6 Erik A.K.
7 steve souza
8 bobby ellsworth
9 Russ Anderson
10 paul baloff