Best tru bypass overdrive

elapidae1

Jul 4, 2009
Ok may be wrong here but to me it looks as though the ts808/p arent true bypass. I want a true bypass pedal (mxr) but not sure what would be the best to get similar tones to the ts.

its to run through a Blackstar HT5

You could just make a DIY loop box, I made one for like 15 bucks. Click it, loop engaged. Click it, loop bypassed.

look at the maxon OD808 :)

they ARE the original tubescreamers (the original ts808s were made my maxon for ibanez), but sold direct from maxon in their own casing.

It is based on the original ts808, and is VERY popular as a transparent overdrive

You could just make a DIY loop box, I made one for like 15 bucks. Click it, loop engaged. Click it, loop bypassed.

/facepalm.

"true bypass" means that you can keep the pedals connected so that the tone isnt compromised when the pedals are off, so you dont need to keep fiddling with an fx loop :)

/facepalm.

"true bypass" means that you can keep the pedals connected so that the tone isnt compromised when the pedals are off, so you dont need to keep fiddling with an fx loop :)

Well, the loop box does accomplish the exact same thing. Just keep the TS on at all times, and hit the loop box switch to turn it on and off.

Edit: Besides, you probably wouldn't put a tubescreamer in the fx loop of an amp.

/facepalm.

I know exactly what "true bypass" is, as my solution clearly makes any pedal you put in the loop "true bypass". To my knowledge, the maxon OD808 is not "true bypass", just very transparant.

/facepalm ?

I know exactly what "true bypass" is, as my solution clearly makes any pedal you put in the loop "true bypass". To my knowledge, the maxon OD808 is not "true bypass", just very transparant.

/facepalm ?

Yes you are correct. I had been thinking of making a looper. Made one a few years back.

Was also looking at the GGG diy pedals. Anyone had any experience with them.

look at the maxon OD808 :)

they ARE the original tubescreamers (the original ts808s were made my maxon for ibanez), but sold direct from maxon in their own casing.

It is based on the original ts808, and is VERY popular as a transparent overdrive

Well.....

Analog Man Tube Screamer History Page said:
Maxon OD-808 mods

We have worked on the Maxon OD-808 and now offer our 808/SILVER mod for it. The Maxon OD-808 is actually a TS-10 circuit (uses TS9/TS10 output section) so it takes some serious work. The circuit boards are a little fragile, like the 2003+ TS9s, so we have to be very careful so as not to damage them. We also include TRUE BYPASS on these mods because Maxon uses a normal size stomp switch which we can easily change to a 3PDT switch for true bypass. So if you are a stickler for true bypass, the Maxon OD-808/Silver may be the pedal for you.

Maxon's Nine-series Tube-Screamers (OD9, OD9 Pro+) and their OD820 are all true-bypass pedals, I'd look into those. I love my OD9 Pro+ and was impressed with the standard OD9 as well.

What's your cable length from guitar to amp input? Running through any other pedals? Sometimes you don't want true bypass

What's your cable length from guitar to amp input? Running through any other pedals? Sometimes you don't want true bypass

This. If you are running long cables, the pedal acts like a buffer which helps to prevent tone loss over long cables. If the buffer is designed correctly, then it will be transparent, which means, if you have a long cable, a pedal without true bypass will actually sound...better.

Cable length is 6 foot. Yeah i realised i dont really need true bypass as i will put my pedals thru a looper. Problem is i just had my 2 main pedals crap themselves. (digitech tonedriver and digidelay) So i need to buy a delay also. I am looking to get some pedals to get decent lead sounds.

The one thing I do like about true bypass is that if for some reason the battery dies and the power cord comes out, it will still pass signal