Best unknown prog/power bands

alexxx

Nov 4, 2003
Honduras
Visit site
READ THIS before you start typing band names:
The reason of this tread is to let us get information about bands that are no famous, bands that are NOT easy to get, and specifically: foreign bands. So, we can expand our horizons in prog/power music.
Please DO NOT include ANY bands with fame from the US, Germany, Sweden, Norway. And the likes.
Neither put “your friends band”, or bands that do no have any available CDs.
Also, include a comment about the band. And try to give URLs to the bands site or where to buy the CD.
My Favorite bands related to this gender: (Gamma Ray, Nightwish, Savatage, Iced Earth (old), Threshold, Symphony X, Rage, Manowar (old), Virgin Steele (new), Blind Guardian)

Here is my startup list:
Azeroth: band from Argentina, very good power metal, lyrics in Spanish:
http://www.galeon.com/azeroth/

Saratoga: band from Spain, heavy/power, last two albums are VERY good, great vocalist:
http://www.saratoga-agotaras.com/

Catharsis: From Russia, Power with touches of prog, Imago is a very good album that has two editions one singed in English the other in Russian, I recommend the Russian version:
http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=1&id=2451
Buy at: http://www.metal-cd.ru/rus/CatharsisImago.shtm

I will be posting more latter…

nightwish58 said:
Just curious, are bands from Germany, Sweden, and Norway automatically "known"??? What is the reason for excluding those countries?
totally agree with u!just because u r from sweeden or u.s. that doesnt mean u r known :ill:

I Agree, I just wanted to send the "right" message... I think you can name any bands from any country... I was just trying to get the "idea" right, So people would not start writing their "favorite" bands.
Just, please name bands that YOU think are really good, and not just unknown.
I am also thinking that it might help, if you name a few of your favorite bands, so anyone can get the idea of the music you like, and then understand your recommendation of the "unknown" bands, better.

Right now I am checking on the samples from David Shankles's stuff...
Do check my recommendations... most of you will not regret it.

I don't know how well "known" they are, but certainly no one ever mentions them: The Black Symphony.

Machine Men (Finland) - Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson style metal
Diablo (Finland) - Melodic Death
Manigance (France) - Prog/Power metal
Hibria (Brazil) - True Heavy Metal
Dreamaker (Spain) - Power Metal (feat ex members from Dark Moor)
DGM (Italy) - Neoclassical Prog Metal
Eldritch (Italy) - Prog/Power/Thrash
Axenstar (Sweden) - Melodic Power Metal
Norther (Finland) - Melodic/Death/Power (Children of Bodom style)
Galneryus (Japan) - Neoclassical power metal

These are just off the top of my head...

Veni Domine (Sweden) - "Fall Babylon Fall" : www.venidomine.com
* Prog/Doom with Tate-like vocals.

Twilight (Denmark) - "Eye For an Eye" and "The Edge" : band later became Beyond Twilight, but with Jorn on vocals. Anders Engberg on vox for Twilight.
* Heavy prog/power with lots of melody.

Regarding David Shankle Group well bad news. We broke up, technically the band left so there still is David Shankle just no group. He's got a new singer but he's looking for a keyboardist and other guys to record with. Not sure he's going to get a band really to play out.

Dark Moor, Wizard, Voice, Angels Diary, Axenstar, BEHOLDER, Masterstroke, The Prowlers, Concept, Ethernia, Fates Prophecy, Forgotten Tales, Glory Opera, Heaven Blast, HELREID, Holydragons, Innerwish, Insania, Logars Diary, MAGIC KINGDOM, New Eden, Opera, Perzonal War, Pharaoh, Renacer, Siegfried, Silent Moon, Supreme Majesty, Thy Majestie, Winters Bane

Yes MetalRose, those are not that the ones, I am would like to see in this thread ;-)
JCMRecords: we could all just start typing names of "pseudo" unknown bands... I could name more than you did!!!... but that is not the point.
The point is about really good band that most of us don't know. And I know your list has a lot of those, but nobody will start trying to get music from them if you write a "food recipe" of metal.
I found pretty good recommendations, from “alexofbodom”, I encourage all of the “power metal” heads to check out his list…

dargormudshark and The Fiddler's recommendations are also original, but I am not that much of a "prog metal head", so anyone into prog should tell us if those bands are worth it.

nightwish58 said:
Just curious, are bands from Germany, Sweden, and Norway automatically "known"??? What is the reason for excluding those countries?

Angel Dust (German)
Vanden Plas (German)
Rage (German)
Edguy (German)
Brainstorm (German)

Tad Morose (Sweden)
Pain of salvation (Sweden)

I am tired of trying to think of where bands come from....

Pagans Mind is Norwegian... as well, but though I am not trying to be rude, Germany and sweden have been well represented at PP with good reason of course...

Bryant

alexxx said:
Yes MetalRose, those are not that the ones, I am would like to see in this thread ;-)
JCMRecords: we could all just start typing names of "pseudo" unknown bands... I could name more than you did!!!... but that is not the point.
The point is about really good band that most of us don't know. And I know your list has a lot of those, but nobody will start trying to get music from them if you write a "food recipe" of metal.
I found pretty good recommendations, from “alexofbodom”, I encourage all of the “power metal” heads to check out his list…

dargormudshark and The Fiddler's recommendations are also original, but I am not that much of a "prog metal head", so anyone into prog should tell us if those bands are worth it.
Just to let you know sir... I did not just typed in names of "Pseudo" unknown bands. Some of these bands have a decent following. Maybe 2 or 3 bands are unsigned. But the rest are.:D

JCMRecords said:
Just to let you know sir... I did not just typed in names of "Pseudo" unknown bands. Some of these bands have a decent following. Maybe 2 or 3 bands are unsigned. But the rest are.:D

Yep I have an EP from Thy Majestie. Cool stuff.

Bryant