Best Vocal Lines?

Oh yeah, another couple faves:

"I'll see the horizon through the eyes of a stranger, the one that I'm living inside..." - Revival, from Nightingale's The Closing Chrocles.

from Crimson:
"for the king had showed them that it could be done
when his woman gave birth to the sacred one
But is she a man, made of flesh and blood
or is she the offspring of the unholy, ...GOOOODDDD!!!!"
...love that contrast.

Katatonia's Sweet Nurse:
"Then like a ghost at night, you come around all dressed in white..."

Vintersorg:
The lunar aurora,
the spirits productive grain.
Guide me into a landscape,
astral and arcane.
I can feel the towering the mountain,
as well as the abyss-like sea.
In my veins the wildest river,
and every growing tree.

From opeth, most of the ones that have already been mentioned. the first 5 minutes of drapery and the end of bleak with the reverse reverb under neath it. that part rules...also "white face haggard grin this serenity painted death" part is so fuckin catchy and rockin.

non opeth.

the whole middle clean section of with srength i burn by emperor.

i can't think of any more off the top of my head.

My vote for opeth lines would be:

Morningrise (The Night and the Silent Water):
"Am I like them, those who mourn and then turn away..."

MAYH (The Amen Corner):
"The celestial touch from grey to black
A phantomless void enclosing
Unwritten secrets beneath the cobwebs I cannot endure"

I tend to like the things that most people don't care too much about as I get bored of the more catchy/commercial things really quick. It's a curse. I also liked Demon of the Fall a lot more before I found out it was one of the most "popular" songs. I wish everything could remain as underground and obscure as The Amen Corner or The Leper Affinity but I realize this isn't possible. I don't like the "commercialization" of opeth by the fans, but I guess it's unavoidable. I guess I long for the good ol' harsh/progressive MAYH days and I'm sad they are over. There's always something special about the 2ond and 3rd albums of every band that is often never recaptured but at least with Opeth we know they'll never just sell-out so that's something to be thankful for. Just my 2 cents..

Satori

one of my fav is the arrival part in in mist she was stading, and by november's doom, the song shadow of light: Vary your speed to which you live, and count every last grain of sand.

and the song silent tomorrow: Silent tomorrow, I want to live my life once more. Visions of grandeur, I want to taste the void extreme.

Everyone who makes KICK FUCKING FAT ASS music is bound to become a celebrated victim of their own fame.... you'll get the image whores liking them and so on... but Opeth can't help become victims of their own talent.
As you said Satori... as long as they don't sell out all is well in the dark depths of Opeth.
And by far MAYH is my fave album.... it has the best lyrics and sound. I can't get over it or sick of the sound no matter how many times I play it.. fuck man the cd I reckon has been worn down to the paint! :)
But I really love the end of When...

'When can I take you from this place? When is the word but a sigh?.........'

I love the way Shagrath of Dimmu Borgir sings on Spiritual Black Dimensions / Reptile:

"He who speaks of nightly tresures
He who wraps the serpent around my neck
He who pours poisonous wine in my chalice
He who lets me serve and slip away"

It's way catchy.

Another favourite is by Dark Tranquillity - Punish My Heaven where Stanne sings

"The charge of cosmos
Changing us from unearthly distance
I challenge the universe
it's the choice between heaven and hell

varying from semi-growling to clean vocals.. gives me creeps.

The end of When always did it for me..

Popular as it is, the last few lines of Demon of the Fall, as it's a bit of a pivotal point in both the song, and the entire album's storyline.

"just one second, and I was left with nothing
her fragrance still pulsated through damp air"

it's got a heightened emotionality (to steal a neologism..) due to its overall context.

And finally, the beginning of the clean vocal lines in Black Rose Immortal.. "Eyes attach to your mute portrait / we spoke only through thoughts / together we gazed, awaited / hours brought thirst, and the ris-ing sun" I love the way Mikael's accent comes out, though it only does so occasionally. Very nice lines, forming vivid images, extremely real emotion.

Overall, I think that Mikael comes across very accurately in his lyrics - he seems to be quite the humble guy. In interviews, he swears a lot, and it just seemed out of context after hearing him bear his soul in those lyrics. I think his gentle "two thumbs up" at the end of a show instead of screaming at the audience and giving the "metal sign" (or whatever it's called.. the horns) as most would do, somewhat confirms this.

"I love the way Shagrath of Dimmu Borgir sings on Spiritual Black Dimensions / Reptile:

"He who speaks of nightly tresures
He who wraps the serpent around my neck
He who pours poisonous wine in my chalice
He who lets me serve and slip away"

It's way catchy."

Yeah, that is great. But it´s not Shagrath that sings that part, it´s Simen Hestnaes, aka Vortex, former member of Borknagar, now fulltime member of Dimmu Borgir, who do that wonderful clean vocals. If you like his voice, check out Borknagar, especially the album The Archaic Course where Simen do some really amazing singing.

In everyone opeth song there is just one miniscule moment where my breath is just blown away and i want to scream and grasp onto something to keep me from going nuts!

-to bid you farewell.....the way mikael sings "you" at the very end of the song........WOW!
-bleak......"and drains me away"
-i would definitely have to agree with onan on the emphasis on the word "wilted" in the chorus of harvest
-godhead's lament....."as ive reached the final dawn to what's gone astray"
-the twilight is my robe.."shrouded in crystals, through the frosty night, souls of the full moon awake, their shadows ablaze" also...at about the 5:40 mark where it picks up and does the same riff 4 times....just listen to that....i die evertime i listen to it, because MY HEART STOPS!!!.....hehe

:D

of course i could name 90% of the things opeth has done, but there are a couple of other things that stick in my mind...

cradle of filth, on cruelty and the beast, on the song "cruelty brought thee orchids": (deep, not growl) her portrait hung in the black gallery; commanding unease, demanding of death to (growl)breathe "

all of "spleen" by evereve, which is half-whispered, half-moaned (sigh) Tom Sedotschenko (RIP) was a fucking awesome vocalist.

james maynard keenan, on Lateralus, track 8 (Ticks & leeches)...
right after the middle acoustic section where he comes in screaming "suuuuuck me dryyyyyyyyy!!!"

everon, from Fantasma, on track 1 (Men Of Rust): "In a moment of rage, i broke out of that cage, spread my wings and found i could fly. in a moment of pain, i broke free from the chain, much too long i have live a lie"