best vocalist?

Yea I like the dude from Akercocke as well, hes awesome, but his growls and screams are of a different sort than Mike's. They are deeper and more distorted. The guy from Severe Torture growls in a very similiar way. I like Mikaels the best because he can go very deep and it sounds very gruff but is relatively easy to understand. Mike could probably get close to or as deep as the dude from Akercocke, but imo doing good deep growls with good clarity of words is more difficult than super deep distorted vox. Lol and I also don't deny, I am a great fan of everything Mikael does.

Yea I used to be all about the super low growls ala cannibal corpse, mortician etc but now I really appreciate the power in the growls of people like Mikael and also Dan Swanö- two excellent versatile vocalists.
As far as new talent I'm gonna have to go with Kai Jaakkola of The Duskfall. He can do the Thomas Lindberg screams perfectly but mixes it up really great with other styles. Again, his vocals have that extra "oomph" that just rocks :headbang:

for clean vocals i would have to say Warrel Dane from Nevermore, but for growls probably Nergal from Behemoth

There is no "best vocalist"

1) Its all a matter of opinion
2) The quality of a singers voice is affected by how much they fit the style

Take Tay Zonday for example, he has a great voice, but it just doesn't go with the keyboard.

Joe Strummer has a really bad voice but it fits The Clashs style which makes him sound better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cedric Bixler-Zavala is definitely the best vocalist in Prog/Experimental music.

Aldrahn of Dødheimsgard and Thorns
Björk as herself
Garm of Ulver
Ihsahn of Emperor (but it's funny his best vocal performance was on Arcturus-song Radical Cut)
Leonard Cohen as himself
Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth
Pasi Koskinen or Ruoja of Ajattara, Amorphis and Shape of Despair
Satyr of Satyricon and Thorns