best vocalist?

I'm very surprised to never read : Rob Alford (Judas Priest)
For me, that guy (or that gay :) ) is one of the greatest voice I've ever heard.

This is my list :

Freddy Mercury (Queen)
Rob Alford (Judas Priest)
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
Ancient James Hetfield (Metallica)
Tom Araya (Slayer)
Max Cavalera (Sepultura)

I like many but I have yet to hear anyone come close to Geoff Tate for range, expression, passion and phrasing. His vioce just has awsome natural tone too, he doesnt throw it at all to get expression.

For highs mentioned in first post, I have yet to hear anyone match the moving performance of Steelhearts - Miljenko Matijevic - on the song "Never let you go" or "Shes Gone", damn you would have thought you were listening to Ann Wilson

Russell Allen - Symphony X
Zak Stevens - Savatage
Ray Alder - Fates Warning
James Dewar - Robin Trower
Mustaine - just like his depraved attack
John Oliva - " . " . " . . . " . . . "

Bob Dylan:lol:

This thread is a waste of space here, some people have problems with instruments and this one pushes other threads away, but what do I care. :lol:

we'll go across the range of vocalists and say

Tom Araya
Chris Barnes (back in the day)
George Fisher
Phil Ansemo
Michale Graves
Corey Taylor

just to name a few

Dio is the best singer ever, i wish he would do a duet with george fisher of cannibal corpse

I also think Ronnie James Dio is THE voice of metal. One of his successors in Black Sabbath, Tony Martin is also outstanding. As far as modern vocalists in their prime, I have to go with Urban Breed (Tad Morose/Bloodbound) Of course nobody knows who the hell he is, unfortunately. : (

Bryant

I like many but I have yet to hear anyone come close to Geoff Tate for range, expression, passion and phrasing. His vioce just has awsome natural tone too, he doesnt throw it at all to get expression.

Russell Allen - Symphony X
Ray Alder - Fates Warning
"

Two great replies. Neither vocalist has been given enough credit. Great voices !!

Bryant

just wanted to bring this up :-D prolly been asked thousands of times before but
<--------------- doesnt care.

can be from any generation, 80s, 90s on.

in my opinion i would say stu block from into eternity. if you dont know him, check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GSFcYqBoc

the guy can do all kinds of screams and also has a voice that can go so high it makes ZP Theart (dragonforce) sound like a foghorn. ok well that might be an exagerration but still give stu some credit :)

Stu uses a lot of multi-tracked harmonizing when he sings. But otherwise he is pretty good. And I can sing higher than DragonForces singer and my voice is lower than Tom Cruise's head.

Pete Stahl of Goatsnake, Earthlings?, Orquesta Del Desierto, etc. He's so dreamy!

No offense but this is a "Best Vocalist" thread not "Hottest Vocalist" thread.

George Fisher
Howard Jones(amazing clean voice and screams)
phil anselmo
pekka kokko(kalmah)
Chuck Schuldiner
Dez fafara
Dio
Sean Farber(daath)
the guy from dimmu borgir(i dont know his name)

Tomas Lindberg
Peter Tagtgren
Mikael Akerfeldt
Jari Maenpaa
Chuck Schuldiner
Warrel Dane
Vortex
Garm
Leïlindel(Unexpect <3)

geoff tate
klaus meine
bruce dickinson
eric adams
rob halford
sebastian bach
king diamond
mike patton
phil anselmo
Mike Matijevic
jim gillette
layne staley
jeff scott soto

I think a good vocalist is one who adds more than just lyrics to the music. And one who can carry elements in the music even further. Like Robert Plant and Axl Rose.