Between the Buried and Me/Cynic/DEVIN TOWNSEND/Scale the Summit US Tour

wait, what? :err: whose fest?

:Smug:

so apparently by my actually reading words i have put 2 and 2 together to figure out that you are pathfinder. my bad everyone only mentions "hoyt" when talking about this stuff. so being from NC i am what you might say "out of the loop." we only play the masquerade and swayze's when we come play the ATL area. i don't know much about the true metal scene down there other than attending PP every year.

my bad.

see you friday regardless. :headbang:

Let me second the recommendation for, if nothing else, BtB&Me's covers CD The Anatomy Of. I'm not hugely familiar with the band's original material, but that covers CD is great.
Any band that covers Earth Crisis and King Crimson on the same disc is a force to be reckoned with. (Plus King Crimson, Soundgarden, Pantera, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, Counting Crows.....)

and with the material they have on their new record i am sure WW may get dropped simply due to length. they will probably focus their set around the 18 minute track on their new album.

new album SMOKES by the way.

Well you have to consider that Cynic has only in recent years been discovered by the larger progressive metal audience. Progressive metal audience are not usually very hip to what is going on outside of that genre.
Also they write if death metal for years. Actually they still do to a great degree.
I'm still waiting for Anacrusis to catch on and get the credit they deserve. I guess the Atheist just dues are not going to happen though.

Let me second the recommendation for, if nothing else, BtB&Me's covers CD The Anatomy Of. I'm not hugely familiar with the band's original material, but that covers CD is great.
Any band that covers Earth Crisis and King Crimson on the same disc is a force to be reckoned with. (Plus King Crimson, Soundgarden, Pantera, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, Counting Crows.....)

I agree.
The band are really really good. But I also think they are not memorible in the way of hooks at least.
And for progressive metal filks looking into them they should start with recent material and go back.

This should be awesome. Hope there's a local date, I'll definitely go for Devin & Cynic.

But I have to admit - I've paid close to no attention to BTBAM since I saw half of their set at Ozzfest the year they played. Heard good things about them, but the songs I heard never really grabbed me. So, I have no idea how big they are these days...

Trust me, don't judge BTBAM based on their Ozzfest performances. I saw them at Ozzfest and didn't like them then either. It really isn't the right format for them. In fact, they've stated in numerous interviews since that they hated playing ozzfest and how it felt like a battle of the bands, which you can't disagree with too much. They have a lot more depth to them and they keep continuing to grow in my opinion. I'm really looking forward to this tour if it happens, which it sounds legit if Devin Twittered it.

My only thing is, while Cynic are prog metal legends, they probably should be the second band. They don't have a large catalogue and compared to the others, the songs aren't nearly as long. Plus, I thought Devin was supposed to be doing a headlining tour. Personally, I think it should be a co-headlining tour with BTBAM and Devin and then BTBAM and Scale the Summit as the opener.

My only thing is, while Cynic are prog metal legends, they probably should be the second band. They don't have a large catalogue and compared to the others, the songs aren't nearly as long. Plus, I thought Devin was supposed to be doing a headlining tour. Personally, I think it should be a co-headlining tour with BTBAM and Devin and then BTBAM and Scale the Summit as the opener.

As much as I like Dev's work, the fact is that this is not legitimate criteria for how tours are booked.

I think you need BTBAM on this tour. Cynic are legends and Devy is awesome in his own right, but they aren't enough to get ticket sales going, I'm afraid. We're a tight-nit group, we metalheads, and a relatively small group. You need a name like BTBAM with more pull than just a DTB/Cynic tour.

However, I agree that BTBAM tours waaaaay more often, and it is not necessary to see them again, but from a business standpoint I think the tour would suffer if it was just going on DT/Cynic alone.

I hate it, but it's also the reason garbage like The Faceless and Emmure ends up on real death metal tours...they are more popular with the crowd that goes to these shows. I hate those bands, but if it allows the good bands to tour, then I guess I'll be alright with them being part of the packages.

Although in a perfect world, everyone would realize that Emmure and bands of their ilk are absolute junk and listen to more Suffocation and Morbid Angel instead.

The Faceless is at least interesting instrumentally. I'm not really a fan though as their singer was downright annoying.

I saw The Faceless open for Atheist which was a huge mistake. The place filled up for The Faceless and when Atheist delivered one of the most incredible live sets I have ever seen, there were like 100/200 people. Ugh.

I hate it, but it's also the reason garbage like The Faceless and Emmure ends up on real death metal tours...they are more popular with the crowd that goes to these shows. I hate those bands, but if it allows the good bands to tour, then I guess I'll be alright with them being part of the packages.

Although in a perfect world, everyone would realize that Emmure and bands of their ilk are absolute junk and listen to more Suffocation and Morbid Angel instead.

i think comparing EMMURE to THE FACELESS is way off.

EMMURE are just terrible breakdown moshcore, where at least THE FACELESS are attempting to introduce a new, younger crowd to the ways of ATHEIST and CYNIC. it's also NOT The Faceless' fault that their crowd don't know who ATHEIST is.

even if it's considered "junk" it serves a purpose to people who go to shows and watch them. it's the new face of hardcore whether we like it or not.

hell, most people hate my band because we are deemed as a one trick pony, but kids still come to shows, pile on and get absolutely nuts. it is what it is and i am not going to have it any other way. our fans would kill me. haha.

The problem with The Faceless is that they are insanely derivative and generic. They steal riffs and ideas from other baInds and just copy and paste them into their songs. Their stuff is generic as hell... There are people like you who make the argument "yeah but at least they are bringing that kind of music to the masses," which to me is so much worse. It means that when I go to see bands like Atheist, I can now expect scene kids not getting what those kinds of bands are about. I remember at some point, I oveheard some scene kid saying something along the likes of "I wonder if the Atheist guys can pull of that stuff life like The Faceless can" and I almost facepalmed right there. Atheist was never about being technically proficient or machinistic, they were just about making quirky, weird, unique music. That mentality is something that bands like The Faceless have yet to grasp.

I think most folks' gripe with the Faceless is that there are more original bands in the same subgenre that get significantly less attention. I don't know about you guys, but I'd much rather see Augury, Spawn of Possession or Martyr opening shows than The Faceless.

Edit: or Obscura, Portal, Stargazer, Psycroptic, Neuraxis, Ulcerate, Gorod, Quo Vadis, Vengeful, Defeated Sanity, Dim Mak, Kronos, Decrepit Birth, Severed Savior, Atheretic, Unexpect, Alarum, Emeth, Gigan...