Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Sound of White Noise

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Divine Intervention

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

PrincessHades

Apr 11, 2015
I've decided to speed things up (even though the music we are speaking of is continuously slowing down) to keep it from getting boring. Next will be the Teutonic Big 3.

Starting with Metallica's Load. I am among the few who really enjoyed the hell out of Load. That said, it is certainly no masterpiece. I think the blues influence served as an artistic constraint, maybe a template to make up for the fact that Metallica were actually incompetent at writing slower stuff.

Anthrax went full on 90s on us all with Sound of White Noise. It had some nice trace elements of thrash metal, but it comes off as a groove metal albun with potential, albeit one weakened by an influx of the unpleasant alternative metal that was emerging at the time with bands like Alice in Chains. I find myself listening to the track C11 H17 N2 O2 S Na a lot, though. It's a pretty fun, laid back yet pissed off song.

What the hell did Slayer do? Same thing. I heard one song from Divine Intervention, weird vocal effects, pseudo-alternative song structures. I was instantly struck by its lack of Slayer's characteristic aura.

Megadeth, on the other hand, still continued to kick ass and deliver at least a bit of thrash well into the 90s. I love Youthanasia, I think it's a very artful and mature release. Plus, it has some actual thrashers like Train of Consequences and Reckoning Day.

Youthanasia - good melodies and the most consistent album he has, but too mono-tempo and gets boring as a whole, 5/10

Load - ridiculously padded but the weak songs don't totally irritate me like they used to, and the highlights are still excellent, 5/10

Divine Intervention - further downwards slide in their discography, Bostaph's drumming helps to keep it up a little though, 4.5/10

Sound of White Noise - Only is a pop metal classic, most of the album ranges from boring to shit, probably generous giving it a 3/10

The Killing Road, Reckoning Day, Train of Consequences, Blood of Heroes, I Thought I Knew It All are all killer tracks that make this album really good.

Also Addicted to Chaos. Dat drum intro..

I really like Elysian Fields as well. People really underrate the Marty era past Rust in Peace imo..

uh, none?

We get it. You hate thrash. No one cares.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Do we really need all these threads shitting the forum at the same time? At least they'll all die quickly I guess.

Oh and Divine Intervention. I remember there being at least a couple cool moments on that one.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
Divine Intervention is the only thrash album here. You have to be deaf to think Youthanasia or Sound of White Noise are any more than nominally thrash.

I'm not sure I've ever heard Youthanasia in it's entirety but he's right about the Anthrax album...