Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Spreading the Disease

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hell Awaits

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters

PrincessHades

Apr 11, 2015
I'm going to say Peace Sells. The album is full of underrated songs, namely The Conjuring and Bad Omen. I like Ride the Lightning, though I feel that Metallica released all their albums prematurely and thus was set on a premature timescale (but that was what made them so influential. Hell Awaits and Spreading the Disease are great albums as well, but they don't make a name for themselves as well as the aforementioned two albums.

As a sidenote, I placed this poll in GMD as I am doing from here on out. Old School Metal Discussion doesn't really reap very much activity. The clear winner of the first one was Show No Mercy, though.

hell awaits is the best thrash album and a top 5 metal album.
ride the lightning is arguably the best metallica album and a top 10 thrash album.
peace sells is ok, i only really like the title track and closer.
spreading the disease is ok, probably their best album but that's not a high bar.

The correct answer is Rust in Peace or Reign in Blood, but given these options, Hell Awaits.

*edit, nevermind, just got the format.

Hell Awaits. Round one I would have gone for Kill Em All.

Ride the Lightning is one of the albums most deserving the title of all-time greatest metal album. Extreme consistency, extreme quality, both iconic and experimental for its time. 10/10.

Peace Sells on a riff-by-riff basis is an even better album, and also manages to have many aspects similar to RTL that solidify it as an all-time classic, but it fails on consistency. Devil's Island is a boring galloping speed metal song, and the cover song is stupid, which leaves a ~29 minute, 6-song, 10/10 EP.

Hell Awaits is among the most important and influential metal albums, anyone that considers Pleasure to Kill or especially Epidemic of Violence to be death/thrash but not Hell Awaits is both deaf and retarded. The riffing and songwriting were far ahead of most of the curve, and it's Slayer at their most elaborate and ambitious. It still falls short of the two above for me largely due to personal preferences in style, but there are issues of mediocre drumming and a slight sense of rehashed ideas. I think Journey Into Mystery and None Shall Defy did the style better than the old masters. 7.5-8/10.

Spreading the Disease is a damn good album and easily Anthrax's best, lots of catchy, quality melodies and hooks. I generally prefer its trad/power songs to the thrashier ones, but I can't dislike the album at all. 7/10.

The concept of a sophomore slump isn't as common as many believe.

>>>>>>>>>>>spreading the lulz

Reactions: Talos of Atmora