Pythagorean List O' Metal

Interesting theory wwallinga.

I think the best exemple is Slayer. True about Nevermore as well.

I would add Iced Earth : Burnt Offerings, Dark Saga, Something Wicked this Way Comes.

Concerning Iron Maiden, I consider their best 3 to be Number of the Beast, Powerslave and 7th Son. So the patern would more likely be : first two albums - awesome album - good - awesome - good - awesome - the rest

Testament is a particular case. I think that their best albums are the first 3.

Interesting theory and one that I tend to agree with....

I can't really see how Sabbath fits the bill though....the first two albums were simply too mindblowing.
Zeppelin, though...III, IV, and Houses were definitely their peak.

I'd also add Amorphis: Elegy, Tuonela and Am Universum.... I know most of you will think Tales... deserves to be on that list, or even at the head of it, but I always seem to come back to those three...

Even though I don't listen to them much, Tool didn't blossom until Aenima, and then Lateralus was better still, and I'm guessing their next one will complete the trilogy.

Umm....well, that's all I can think of off the top of my head....

oh, wait, Uriah Heep had Look at Yourself, Demons and Wizards, and The Magician's Birthday; arguably their finest.

But there's also a couple of exceptions to the rule I can think of..... Ulver and King Crimson both peaked (for me) with their first (or in Ulver's case, their first three) album(s). Enslaved, on the other hand, while all of their material is good, REALLY started to forge ahead with Monumension, Below the Lights (this album blows me away every time I put it on) and Isa - their most recent three albums.

So, yeah, it's an interesting general rule though. I'm sure there's plenty more bands that fit the bill.

Morbid Angel should also be in there but they are too unpredictable to obbey rules and they have lots of changes between good-bad.

You are dead right about Opeth and their 3-4-5 albums and
Led Zep's 3-4-5. I mean you couldn't be more right.
I don't agree with the Black Sabbath ones though.
Good thinking anywho!
Meshuggah come to mind with their 3 4 5.
None DEI and Chaosphere but they had some minor releases in between.

Killing Art said:
what about the 6th, 8th, and 10th of the Pythagorean theorem albums comparedand how they compared to their 3-4-5 albums? Who's got the best 6-8-10 albums?

that's stretching it a bit far..not many bands at all make it to 10 albums.
also, how does 3-4-5 have anything to do with 6-8-10? haha

heh! the point of the 6-8-10. and i like it just because there's no point.
i guess i'm not writing very well this evening.

every damn i post i replied to with my evening browsing, you then replied to which..i of course had to re-reply to, because i must read every fucking thread and comment here haha(i'm a loser..i know) damn you :lol: but anyway, i gotta finish some linear algebra and calc3 hmwk, my friend, talk later.

^ i finished that shit years ago, man. got me nowhere. then again, i changed majors, so.......

Yay, I get to be the first to say:

BLIND GUARDIAN - Tales from the Twilight World/Somewhere Far Beyond/Imaginations from the Other Side

I love the first two albums, but TftTW is really where they began to hit their unique sound, SFB solidified and improved on it, and of course IftOS is an all-time masterpiece, widely regarded as BG's best (for me it's between this one and Nightfall in Middle-Earth, their sixth album).

Let's look at Katatonia....

Discouraged Ones/Tonight's Decision/Last Fair Deal Gone Down

Obviously DO really began the 'gloom-pop' stage of the band, although I'd say the change really began on Brave Murder Day, at least musically. Much more straightforward than Jhva Elohim Meth through For Funerals To Come.... Like BG, their fourth album, (my personal favorite) TD, developed their sound further, and LFDGD did the same, while experimenting with some new things (more daring vocals, electronics).

Opeth we all know about, Nevermore's been covered.... Now, at the risk of getting flamed:

SOILWORK - A Predator's Portrait/Natural Born Chaos/Figure Number Five

APP, being the third one, is generally regarded as their best, and I agree. Also the first album to feature clean vocals. NBC saw the clean vocals taking on a larger part, and the music taking on a less thrashy sound. FNF is hated by nearly everyone (unfairly), the music being less thrashy still and yet more clean vocals. Also, Speed's screams are a bit weaker. But still, the music is following in the path that APP blazed, for the most part. At least, it certainly is not like the first two albums.

Maybe now for some:

SYMPHONY X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy/Twilight in Olympus/V - The New Mythology Suite

TDWoT needs no introduction. Their third album, widely considered their best. I don't necessarily agree, but it did indicate a marked improvement over the second album, and definitely the first one. TiO is held to be inferior to its predecessor, and maybe it is, but really, it's just different. A damn solid album. Then came V, which is godlike, easily their best, IMO. It is one of the only albums I've ever heard that when I listen to it, I think, 'There is nothing at all that I would change about this album.' Fucking amazing.

Iron Maiden's already been discussed, so no need for it here.

But I need to mention:

VINTERSORG - Cosmic Genesis/Visions from the Spiral Generator/The Focusing Blur

Of course we know that Cosmic Genesis began his move away from folk metal and into space/prog metal. Visions took it even further, with weird songs like ESP Mirage. Visions is underrated sorely, IMO. TFB is WAY out there, and brilliant, still on the space/prog metal trail.

Well, I'll end here. My 3-4-5 list was not based on what I think are a band's 'best' albums, just what I think to be the most defining.

Ryan