The way I waste my time - my top 5 metal albums

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I suppose aspects of this short list change from time to time, but not drastically.
I could have easily put more Maiden or Sabbath or whatever....but from my point of view (old and new), these are the best metal albums thus far. "Best" meaning, firing on all cylinders, planets in allignment, few if no flaws albums. Go ahead and throw rocks and post your list. Incidentally, I'm not intentionally old school....only that I'm looking at the genre as a whole. If the list were longer it would include Slayer, etc. etc. Also, I purposely avoided Tool and bands of that sort that, strictly speaking, don't fall under the conventional Heavy Metal standard. If I did, Lateralus would be #1. That's another list.

1. Metallica - Master of Puppets (say what you will about 'em before or after this, I really think this album is THE standard in metal)
2. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast (the first REAL metal album)
3. Opeth - Blackwater Park (whoa!)
4. Mercyful Fate - Melissa (Fantastic, I think so anyway)
5. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (really, this album just represents ALL the Ozzy-era stuff. But it would be cheating to write all those titles in one spot)

There it is. Let's hear/see yours. It's all a matter of taste in the end, so try not to tell me how much of an idiot you think I am. I'll return the favor.

Mark said:
After a request from Opeth.com, the off-topic forum has been closed, and all threads therein have been moved to UM's general chat forum (a link has been placed at the top of this forum for your convenience).

Please note, this forum is for Opeth discussion only. Flame wars, personal attacks, and other disruptive behaviour will not be tolerated - anyone wishing to push these limits may well find their account suspended without notice.

This forum is provided (and paid for) by Opeth for discussion about the band's music and performances. Please refrain from using it for anything else.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

abcdefg: fuck off. there is not enough about opeth to talk about without going off topic: this would be a really boring forum otherwise. threads like this are good and stop people from being bored and trolling instead.

as for my top 5, ill have to have a think :) I know nevermore - dreaming neon black will be in there though probably.

1. Iron Maiden- Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Black Sabbath- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
2.Opeth- Blackwater Park
3. Megadeth- Rust in Peace
4. Demons and Wizards
5. Bruce Dickinson- The Chemical Wedding

3 4 &5 are all so close that it doesn't really matter. It's only in that order for today.

Hmmm very hard.

Metallica- And Justice For All (That's as good as it gets for me)
Edge of Sanity- Crimson
Opeth- Blackwater Park
Opeth- Still Life
Death- Sounds of Perserverance

Honorable Mention goes to

Blind Guardian- Imaginations from the Other Side
Nevermore- DHIADW, Politics of Ecstacy
Anathema- Judgement
Metallica- Master of Puppets

Ah you NU METAL FAGS, damn listen to some good stuff , METALLICA SUCKS! They are so bad I hate them. The five best metal albums are.

1.Opeth- My arms your hearse
2.Opeth- Still Life
3.Opeth-Blackwater Park
4.In Flames- The Jester Race
5.Katatonia- A shade of darkness

I can't make a top 5 without it being a top 25 so here are some of those Metal albums:

Bathory - Hammerheart
Opeth - Orchid
Hypocrisy - Hypocrisy
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Summoning - Stronghold

1. Opeth - Still Life
2. Anathema - A Natural Disaster
3. Bloodbath - Resurrection Trough Carnage
4. A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
5. In Flames - Colony

Devin Townsend - Biomech
Anacrusis - Screams and whispers
Opeth - BWP
Novembre - Novembrine Waltz
Primordial - Spirit the earth aflame

1. Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith
2. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
3. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
4. Venom - Black Metal
5. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

honorable mention: Opeth

Opeth\m/\m/ said:
Ah you NU METAL FAGS, damn listen to some good stuff , METALLICA SUCKS! They are so bad I hate them. The five best metal albums are.

1.Opeth- My arms your hearse
2.Opeth- Still Life
3.Opeth-Blackwater Park
4.In Flames- The Jester Race
5.Katatonia- A shade of darkness
you can't call metallica nu metal!! that's just fucked up, everyone is posting about the old albums here, albums was released even before opeth was formed, i like opeth more than old metallica now, but metallica opened the door, and we all walked through!

Ooooh....some good choices there, that I left out I mean.

Venom - Black Metal
Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding (christ that's a good album)
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Hell yeah. Some good lists up here.

Oh yeah....and the folks who put Nevermore. I think both Dreaming Neon Black and Dead Heart in a Dead World are great examples of what metal can still be like - good I mean. Ha. Funny though, I haven't heard much of Enemies of Reality yet. Don't know what my problem is, I was damn near obsessed with those last two.

Ok, here goes:
Metallica-And Justice For All.....( this album hooked me to metal, totally changed my life)
Opeth-MAYH (This album was such a revelation to me, it really opened my eyes to how beautiful, yet dark and atmospheric music can be, and it will be in my top five always.)
Black Sabbath-Paranoid (This is just a classic metal masterpiece, with timeless tunes, that can be listened to anytime, anywhere.)
Iron Maiden-The Number of the Beast (This has great classics like Hallowed, Children of the damned etc, and was just a huge step in metal history, and it's just my favorite Maiden cd by far)
Hypocrisy-Abducted (This album I believe was Hypocrisy's peak, and it really shows how diverse the band is, with brutal tunes like Killing Art, to the mellow proggy songs like Drained, to me it has become a death metal classic)

Yea "Ram" I watching Cliff em all last night. Metallica at their fucking peak. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Electric Wiz- Enemies of Reality is good man. Horrible production though. :/