KPR's Early Opeth Album Ranking List

• Thread starter King Purple Rainbow
  • Start date
Of what I've heard...

1. My Arms, Your Hearse (what is there to possibly dislike? The melodies are INCREDIBLE)
2. Blackwater Park (first I heard, excellent album)
3. Morningrise (Just got it on Saturday, pretty good, though a bit hard to listen to sometimes because of song lengths. I'm sure it'll grow on me. To Bid You Farewell got an amazing first impression though, awesome song)

To my ears - Blackwater Park will always be ahead of their earlier releases - and probably the main reason is my ears enjoy top quality production, and BWP far exceeds their other works in that department (again, to my ears). Musically, they are equally phenominal throughout their career..

It will be interesting to see where the next 2 albums rank.

Yeah, I can't wait!

Should we camp out at our local record stores? :D

I've been Listening to Opeth for awhile (since Morningrise)... so I can see how some of you newer listeners would have the complete opposite order.

1.) Morningrise - Really has the best solo's/riffs and easily the best acoustic guitar parts...
2.) Still Life - They finally put it all together on this one... just beautiful... and the lyrics tell a great story as well. If I had to recommend a person to the world of Opeth, it would start here!
3.) Orchid - Just great songs... with simple but fantastic guitar work.
4.) MAYH - used to be my favorite... Martin Lopez overwhelms the music with his drumming on this one a bit. I miss the subtle changes that Anders brought... Mikael's bass playing, although adequate, it's not as pronounced as Johan DeFarfalla's on Morningrise and Orchid, where it sounded like a seperate instrument, istead of just an extension to the guitar.
5.) BWP - my least favorite... Seems they have lost a little edge on this one to me... most of the songs really aren't that interesting... the music is too layered... almost like
nu-metal... also not enough variety from Still Life... I find myself losing interest in some of the passages and fast forwarding to good parts in songs. This is probably the only Opeth cd that has parts that I actually don't like... don't get me wrong, it's still good... just not nearly as good as the others in my opinion.

It's cool to see the different opinions of Opeth fans! :headbang:

Here is my ranking:

1: SL
2: Morningrise
3: BWP
4: Orchid
5: MAYH

But I love them all, and this ranking will probably change in time.

Out of curiosity/lack of a life I tabulated the votes so far by adding the ranking place each person gave the album, so a low number means more 1st votes, which means the album is more popular.

Morningrise - score 29
Still Life - score 31
MAYH - score 38
BWP - score 39
Orchid - score 43

So in average, Morningrise is by far the most popular and Orchid is the least popular. But keep in mind that one last place vote can jump a score by 5, so its not very scientific.

1) Morningrise
2) Orchid
3) Who cares?

There are more good songs appearing on albums after these first two, but no great albums as a whole. I've been a fan since Morningrise was first released and I still put that disc in as well as Orchid, but I almost never reach for the other ones. The others all have that same monotonous rythem guitar sound, it's really shitty. I'm sure the next "heavy" album will sound just like all the other newer shit and totally suck monkey balls by comparison to the first two. I am rather curious about this new "mellow" album, it could be the change I've been waiting for.