KPR's Early Opeth Song Ranking List

• Thread starter King Purple Rainbow
  • Start date
I meant 'early' as in this is my very first attempt at making a list of best songs. I know BLACKWATER PARK and STILL LIFE, even MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE are not early Opeth.
I may have another list later once I get more aquainted with the songs.

MY COMPLETE LIST OF FAVORITE OPETH SONGS:

10. THE AMEN CORNER

-The song starts out with a heavy and dark feel, and goes into a still-heavy but more lighthearted feel with a really really good riff. Soon it goes back to the darker feel. The best part is the vocal line - guitar solo - vocal line - guitar solo near the middle. Awesome.

9. ADVENT

-Excellent riff after excellent riff after excellent riff. This song just goes together so well. I prefer Opeth's last three albums over this style a little bit, but this is 2nd to the top of their old style. The best of their old style is......

8. UNDER THE WEEPING MOON / SILHOUETTE

-These two songs "fused" for me one night while I was half asleep. I got lost in the long dreamy section of "Under..." and woke up somewhere in "Silhouette". Since it was my first time listening to Orchid, I had no idea where I was in the album. It was the most eerie thing I have ever heard. These two songs are very eerie and atmospheric, I love them. Especially that on that one night.

7. BLEAK

-This one is tied with White Cluster for best chorus. The dual vocals are awesome. And the acoustic part is one of their best, and fits with the song perfectly.

6. THE MOOR

-An epic opener. The 2 minute intro is creepy, and this song has some awesome riffs. I absolutely love the part: "Pale touch...." and the guitar riff that follows those lines.

5. WHEN

-The little acoustic part at the begging is awesome, as well as the guitars that come blasting in. The guitar buildup in the middle is also cool, and the outro to the song ("When can I take you from this place?...") is epic.

4. WHITE CLUSTER

-This song has the best Opeth chorus ever (along with Bleak), as well as the best solo ever. The blast of guitars in the middle is just too cool and powerful.

3. FACE OF MELINDA

-Excellent and moody acoustics, but the electric guitar that kicks in is perfect, as well as the vocal lines. Very powerful. I just have to sing along with this one.

2. DIRGE FOR NOVEMBER

-In my opinion, the most underrated song EVER. The acoustic part is some of the best they've ever done, and they heavy part is just dream-like and depressing. I just get lost in it. The depressing lyrics and song title add to the brilliance.

1. BLACKWATER PARK

-Exhuastive and jaw-dropping. After the cool and dreamy acoustic part, the song just never lets up. Awesome lyrics, too. This song never fails to blow me away.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

In Mist She was Standing
Forest of October
Nectar
April Ethereal

PHEW!!!!!!!:eek: I just had to do this list at some point...:D