KPR's Early Opeth Album Ranking List

• Thread starter King Purple Rainbow
  • Start date
K

King Purple Rainbow

Keep in mind, MORNINGRISE and MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE are still new to me, so this list may change.

So far, though, it goes like this...

1. ORCHID

A masterpiece. I was floored when I heard "In Mist She Was Standing" and that ominous, haunting feel continued through the entire album. It ranks up there with heavy metal classics like In Flames' THE JESTER RACE, Iced Earth's NIGHT OF THE STORMRIDER, Blind Guardian's TALES FROM THE TWILIGHT WORLD, Megadeth's RUST IN PEACE, Metallica's MASTER OF PUPPETS, Slayer's SEASONS IN THE ABYSS, and BLACK SABBATH.

2. BLACKWATER PARK

This CD to me is comparable to Metallica's Black Album...accessible to new listeners yet still has that Opeth feel...haunting, epic songs. This is the CD that turned me on to Opeth, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

3. MORNINGRISE

Most say this is Opeth's definitive album. It is impressive to say the least, but it didn't hit me the way ORCHID did...I still love the riffs in ORCHID. But I'm sure this CD will grow on me.

4. MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE

Some awesome, awesome riffs and epic songs. And it ended brilliantly. Again, this one is also a CD I need to get more acquainted with.

5. STILL LIFE

It's hard to rank this one at #5, but look at the top four! Still, the moments in STILL LIFE are magnificient.

Well, now I'm part of the Opeth family. You guys said that it just gets better with every listen...and I can't wait.

The cool thing is, it can be any order and it will still be a good list.

Yep...Opeth is that good...

Mornigrise
Orchid
Blackwater Park
Still Life
My arms, Your Hearse

Note that it varies from week to week!

Blackwater Park
Still Life
My Arms, Your Hearse
Morningrise
Orchid.

They're certainly all amazing, but I think Opeth exemplifies progression and I think everything they do is better than what they did last, and far better than nearly everything else out there.

Still Life
Morningrise
Blackwater Park
My arms your hearse
Orchid

I will be buying Still Life soon, and it seems that it is on average, the least liked of all of em... hmmm...

So I guess it is not bad at all, it is good, but not as good as others?

Originally posted by Soilworker
I will be buying Still Life soon, and it seems that it is on average, the least liked of all of em... hmmm...

So I guess it is not bad at all, it is good, but not as good as others?

It sure is as good as the others, it´s the best :D

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Orchid
Morningrise
MAYH
Still Life
BWP

notice they have gotten steadily worse
Surprisingly enough I hadn't noticed. In fact I thought you believed they progressed with every album :confused:;)

TO tell you the truth, I don't know. I will buy it no matter what. I'm not saying BWP sucks at all. I'm just comparing it to their earliest works.

I am very curious about the "mellow" album. No matter how the albums turn out, I'm sure they will be good.

progression does not always = good

I think I would phrase that as progressive isn't always good. To me, progression means the band, or artist in any other medium, is excelling in their skill and doing what they want to do more so than with whatever they did last, or that they're doing exactly what suits them at the time of the particular art. But in a sense, you're right. The band could decide to do something that involves more skill and suits them better, and it could be a complete critical failure that lets down all the fans. But, in Opeth's case, progression is among their best attributes.