Favorite Moment(s) in an Opeth Song

saut

He who goes without pants
Feb 9, 2005
With all the excitement over Ghost Reveries, I've been thinking about Opeth a lot, and how good the new album might be. As a result, I've been listening to a shitload of Opeth lately, and I'm planning on listening to the entire catalogue in chronological order over the next few days. Anyway, I was listening to Still Life tonight, and damn does that album have some great moments. I'm going to list my favorite parts from Still Life, and maybe some other albums later. I want to know what everyone's favorite parts are (from any Opeth song) and why you like it so much. There's going to be a lot of overlapping, but it's threads like this that make me look at songs in a different light sometimes, which is nice after hearing them so much.

Anyhoo, here's my favorite Still Life moments:

The Moor
---------
-When the acoustic intro stops and there's a split second of silence, then the drum kick and all hell breaks loose with Mike's mighty double tracked roar.
-The "Oooooh oooooh Oooooh ooooooh" part towards the end
--------

Godhead's Lament
---------
-The lead at about 2.5 minutes in that has the same melody as the first clean vocals.
-"Seaching my wayyyy to perplexionnn Ahhhhh ahhhhh ahhhhhh" is freaking awesome. The rhythm being playing behind it is perfect.
-The folk section 3 minutes in. Definitly one of my favorite acoustic (if not THE favorite) parts. It's got such great atmosphere. Homoooo.
----------

Benighted
---------
-I really don't have too much to say about this one. It's a nice song, but nothing really sticks out, you know? I do really like the "days are done" part, though. Mike does some nice singing there.
---------

Moonlapse Vertigo
---------
-The intro, more specifically 0:47-2:00. Definitly one of Opeth's most beautiful sounding riffs. The lead work is perfect, as are the cymbal accents. The acoustic kicking in halfway through really adds to it as well.
-Last clean vocals/outro. How can't you love it? The way Mike leads into each verse with the last note on the previous verse is awesome.
---------

Face of Melinda
---------
-"Harlot of God upon the earthhhhhhh"
-The unexpected heavy riff, which totally made me shit my pants the first time I heard the song.
-"...but my heart is thineeeee." Thine is such a great word!
---------

Serenity Painted Death
---------
-"Ughhhhhh!"... "Ripped from my embraceee....." "NeckUH!" and the riffage around it. Probably my favorite growling ever here.
-"...the beautiful pain" riff and the lead too. Damn that lead kicks some major ass.
-The "final confrontation" between Jack Latern Bearer and Melinda's murderers. "Each and every one would die at my handdddd! Choking in warm pools of blood!......" Great use of the growl once again.
-I guess this one is part of the last one, but "drained from strength, flickering rage!" leading into the solo is superb. The solo is one of my favorites and I think it does seem to "flicker".
-Last clean vocals of the song. If the "confrontation" part was the climax, this is the resolution. I always loved the way Mike sung "any would betoken... starlit shadows on the waalllallllll...." I kinda think that the song could have done without "white face haggard grin" etc again and it should have gone straight to the outro, but maybe I'm alone on this one.
-----------

White Cluster
----------
-"I find trust in haaateee" and the weird slinky-ish guitar playing right after it.
-The itsy bitsy spider riff. I wonder if you'll know what I mean. It kind of sounds like the "down the water-spout" part.
-The solo (but you knew that was coming). I guess this is Opeth's most technically challenging solo, and it kicks some serious ass too.
-"...noose is tied".... "beckoning right behind meeee." Great way to end the album.
-----------

I'm really curious to see what everyone has to say. Maybe I'll gain a new appreciation for songs I've been neglecting.

At least pick a better album. Man, I was actually excited when I first saw this thread.

NeverIsForever said:
Godhead's Lament - "What would they care...?"

(sorry...couldn't resist) :Spin:

I already commented on that, you homoooo (not that I care if you are gay, no one should know anyway).

shark22 said:
At least pick a better album. Man, I was actually excited when I first saw this thread.

I think that Still Life is Opeth's best, so I really can't pick a better album. If you like another album better, then perhaps you can break that one down for us? That's the point of this thread -- now participate, damnit!

saut said:
I think that Still Life is Opeth's best, so I really can't pick a better album. If you like another album better, then perhaps you can break that one down for us? That's the point of this thread -- now participate, damnit!
Morningrise is best! Advent & To Bid You Farewell = greatest pieces of music ever recorded, beyond words.

shark22 said:
Morningrise is best! Advent & To Bid You Farewell = greatest pieces of music ever recorded, beyond words.

I disagree. However, this thread is not a discussion of which album is the best. You'll find plenty of other threads on that. Tell us why you like the album and those songs so much. If you were trying to convert anyone, that'd be the best way to do it.

Looking for a Job said:
i thought that was "hand was waving a goodbye"

Its rain... and yes that is a one of my favorite parts of April Ethereal... anyways

In The Mist She Was Standing - "Seven Milestones" riff afterwards

To Bid You Farewell - The whole fucking song

When - "And I cried, I knew she had lied.
Her obsession had died, it had died.
When can I take you from this place?"

Karma - The ending with the screams

The Moor - "There is no forgiveness in these eyes
For any of you but one
Dispel the mist for now
Melinda is the reason why I've come" Quiet a beautiful part...

Face of Melinda - when the distorted guitars come in

The Leper Affinity - "I am beyond death
Midst a dreaming affinity" and "Deafening shrieks pierced the night"
two of the most powerful lines in the whole album

Dirge for November - "The omen showed, took me away"

Patterns In The Ivy (1) The Whole Song (2) after solo

man thats too many moments too mention :)

it's nothing technical or anything - but the "This day wept on my shoulder"-part really is great imo :) It fits the story SO good - really making up this -carrying-on feel. and then that GREAT solo!!!

anyways i'm off, im going to Fields of Rock festival, too bad opeth isn't there like 2 years ago, now ill have to wait a few more months :)

ok... serious lack of "...and i crieeeeddd" and "you...sleep...in..." here. You all suck. Not to mention i haven't seen the mention of the Windowpane solo. Are we also forgetting the end of April ethereal? "I don't know how or why, and i'm... never... KNOW WHENNNN *most epic riff ever ensues*"

No particular order...

Forest of October:

The "ahhh, ahhh, ahhh" part and then the final lead by Mike

The Moor:

breakdown into the quiet interlude (they really pull that off well live).

Drapery Falls:
"Pouring a caress on your shoulder" and then the 5/8 riff (EVIL).

April Ethereal:

Outro

Master's Apprentices:

Outro

Serenity Painted Death:

"Came with the moon..."

Godhead's Lament

"Marauder..." (YES)

There are too many of these to keep going. I want to watch Opeth live now.

Deliverance - mellow "Walk with me..."- part, heavy "the piercing sounds you make..."-part, heavy "Devil guides the way..."-part, outro
The Drapery falls - chorus
Forest of October - Intro
Godhead's Lament - "What would they care..."-part
The Moor - chorus

There are many others but I'm too lazy.

"Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park"

probably my favorite moment in the history of music.

In Moonlapse Vertigo I also love the guitar solo... not only the solo itself, but also the rythm guitar. It reminds me Death's Symbolic (the song, not the album) solo in a way.

Deliverance's intro rocks.

The last part of the instrumental in Bleak, just before "Devious movement in your eyes..."

now i go to lunch