Favorite Moment(s) in an Opeth Song

Pseud0 said:
the drums on the outro of drapery falls change periodically

Yes, at the very end. But when the riff comes back in after the harmonized vocals with SW, it sounds different too. I think it might be a little slower? Maybe it just sounds different because of where it's placed, I dunno.

In Deliverance (the song). All heavy in the beginning, then gets soft. Right there. It's like Holy shit.

saut said:
With all the excitement over Ghost Reveries, I've been thinking about Opeth a lot, and how good the new album might be. As a result, I've been listening to a shitload of Opeth lately, and I'm planning on listening to the entire catalogue in chronological order over the next few days. Anyway, I was listening to Still Life tonight, and damn does that album have some great moments. I'm going to list my favorite parts from Still Life, and maybe some other albums later. I want to know what everyone's favorite parts are (from any Opeth song) and why you like it so much. There's going to be a lot of overlapping, but it's threads like this that make me look at songs in a different light sometimes, which is nice after hearing them so much.

Anyhoo, here's my favorite Still Life moments:

The Moor
---------
-When the acoustic intro stops and there's a split second of silence, then the drum kick and all hell breaks loose with Mike's mighty double tracked roar.
-The "Oooooh oooooh Oooooh ooooooh" part towards the end
--------

Godhead's Lament
---------
-The lead at about 2.5 minutes in that has the same melody as the first clean vocals.
-"Seaching my wayyyy to perplexionnn Ahhhhh ahhhhh ahhhhhh" is freaking awesome. The rhythm being playing behind it is perfect.
-The folk section 3 minutes in. Definitly one of my favorite acoustic (if not THE favorite) parts. It's got such great atmosphere. Homoooo.
----------

Benighted
---------
-I really don't have too much to say about this one. It's a nice song, but nothing really sticks out, you know? I do really like the "days are done" part, though. Mike does some nice singing there.
---------

Moonlapse Vertigo
---------
-The intro, more specifically 0:47-2:00. Definitly one of Opeth's most beautiful sounding riffs. The lead work is perfect, as are the cymbal accents. The acoustic kicking in halfway through really adds to it as well.
-Last clean vocals/outro. How can't you love it? The way Mike leads into each verse with the last note on the previous verse is awesome.
---------

Face of Melinda
---------
-"Harlot of God upon the earthhhhhhh"
-The unexpected heavy riff, which totally made me shit my pants the first time I heard the song.
-"...but my heart is thineeeee." Thine is such a great word!
---------

Serenity Painted Death
---------
-"Ughhhhhh!"... "Ripped from my embraceee....." "NeckUH!" and the riffage around it. Probably my favorite growling ever here.
-"...the beautiful pain" riff and the lead too. Damn that lead kicks some major ass.
-The "final confrontation" between Jack Latern Bearer and Melinda's murderers. "Each and every one would die at my handdddd! Choking in warm pools of blood!......" Great use of the growl once again.
-I guess this one is part of the last one, but "drained from strength, flickering rage!" leading into the solo is superb. The solo is one of my favorites and I think it does seem to "flicker".
-Last clean vocals of the song. If the "confrontation" part was the climax, this is the resolution. I always loved the way Mike sung "any would betoken... starlit shadows on the waalllallllll...." I kinda think that the song could have done without "white face haggard grin" etc again and it should have gone straight to the outro, but maybe I'm alone on this one.
-----------

White Cluster
----------
-"I find trust in haaateee" and the weird slinky-ish guitar playing right after it.
-The itsy bitsy spider riff. I wonder if you'll know what I mean. It kind of sounds like the "down the water-spout" part.
-The solo (but you knew that was coming). I guess this is Opeth's most technically challenging solo, and it kicks some serious ass too.
-"...noose is tied".... "beckoning right behind meeee." Great way to end the album.
-----------

I'm really curious to see what everyone has to say. Maybe I'll gain a new appreciation for songs I've been neglecting.

Holy hell dude, you didn't have to quote my entire post there.

To Bid You Farewell: "Why can't you see that I try" - not really a favourite moment. But I allways get a kick out of the lisping at that part. :Spin:

The Moor: When the first hard part kicks in. More spesific, the wonderful blend between distorted electric guitars and acoustics. Love it.

Wreath: At 1:45 when the melodic part kicks in, and at 2:45 when it changes. I especially love how the bass/drums work together here.
"Pale, covered me with sweat" - I love how "sweat" echoes here.

The Leper Affinity: The part that starts at 3:20. Again, as with Wreath because of the bass/drums.

april ethereal -- probably my favorite opeth song, so i like every second of it..but fav. parts are probably "twas a token of ebony colorrrrr!" and the cymbal work that follows. and of course, "the rain was waving goodbye!" fucking incredible section.

when -- can't pick a part, love the whole thing.

amen corner -- the amazing acoustic middle section flowing into "it was the only task i would...undertake"

leper affinity -- 2:00 to 4:45, kick ass riffing, kick ass solo, more kickass riffs, and that incredible melodic part. LOVE it.

dotf -- the full song. i hope opeth keeps this as their encore. it's the perfect track.

epilogue -- : orgasm: need i say more?

a fair judgement -- the fingerpicking part before the solos, and then the great solos, and the awesome outro. powerful song.

btpisio -- "RISE TO SUBMISSION!!"

drapery falls -- the last 3 minutes of that song are really fuckin good. i love how mike goes from soft vox/guitar to death vox/distorted guitar with NO problem, and sounds awesome. some really good riffs in the last 3 min too.

advent -- the first acoustic break, followed by the cool bass part, and then some more cool guitaring. i really like the "we are almost there" line, but then you expect something hectic to happen again soon..but it doesn't, just acoustics :\

nectar -- the very end part, where it transitions from acoustics into that cool ass distorted riff, from left field.

windowpane -- solo

closure -- whole song. very cool track.

white cluster -- 3:45 to 7:15. owwwwwnage.

spd -- 5:30 to 7:00, which includes the angry part "each and everyone would die at my hands, etc" and the solo.

godheads -- "what would they care..."

the moor -- whole thing, pure opeth.

i was about to name my fav parts from orchid, when i realized that nearly every moment is incredible, and memorable, so..i'll suffice it to say, orchid is a very, very good album.

good thread, OP.

well lets see here, im not going to go in any specific order here, or go by album :)

-Black Rose Immortal-

In my honest opinion, the whole fucken song is great. I know alot of people cant handle the 20 minutes, but it has some great guitar work, especially the acoustic guitars at around 10 minutes, and the distortion just after

-When-
This was actually the 3rd opeth song i ever heard, and i loved the solo. i had to learn how to play it as soon as i heard it :p. and the effect on the guitar in the intro, very haunting.

-Dirge for november-

This song was my favourite for a long time. the outro is simply one of the saddest melodies ive heard....brilliant.

-The Moor-

Vocals in this song are perfect, especially the clean vocals in the midsection.

-Godheads Lament-

This is my favourite song to play on my guitar....when im playing it, the part just after he sings "no one should know, ooooh ohhhhh" for the last time, and the distortion kicks in again, i get goosebumps everytime, perfect riff.

-Demon Of The Fall-
Favourite of mine simply because its the first opeth song i ever heard, at a mates house. started the addiction :).

-To Bid You Farewell-
You all know what im talking about :p

-Face of Melinda-
Beautiful peice of music, mikes voice is so dynamic its incredible.

-Drapery Falls-
I remember seeing an instructional video on a few websites with mike and the boys teaching you how to play this song, they make it seem so effortless.

I could go on and on and on, ill save you from the babble :p

deliverance said:
closure -- whole song. very cool track.

Yeah closure has so many kickass parts. Hell, the very first seconds are awesome. The way that the vocals start almost immedietly really adds something nice... but my absolute favorite part has got to be the whole "in the rays of the sun..." bit. Goddamn that's some fine songwriting.

Jesus, I almost forgot about the instrumental ending! It gives such a cool Latin vibe, but still stays within the borders of Opethland.

just watched the dvd, and the bit from "leave it be was meant for me" to the end of the song of A Fair Judgement, is sexual, infact the whole song is, best thing to come from Deliverance

-Ea- said:
-To Bid You Farewell-
You all know what im talking about :p
Well, actually, most people on this forum think the intro riffs and solo are the highlight of the song, whereas I think every second from 7:00 onwards totally destroys anything before it.

I think that riff just sounds different at the end because of where it is placed... After the double kick burst heavy riff when the feedback hits and the acoustic guitar starts the whole thing sounds alot more 'bombastic' (is that a word??!!).
It just brings the song full circle again, and the bass part adds a certain feel which is awesome

(im talking about Drapery Falls again btw lol)

Alex78 said:
am I the only one who hates that "...and I criiiieeed, I knew she had liiieeed" part? I find it rather cheesy actually

I don't really like it either. One of the best moments from MAYH (which I have actually been listening to a lot lately for some reason) is definitly in The Amen Corner: "White summer!!!!!!!!! AHRAHSHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

Nectar - 3:19 (Riff), 8:00 (Riff, Heavy to Acoustic and so on AMAZING)

Black Rose Immortal - 13:37 (Riff)

Forest of October - 10:18 (Drums/Riff combined)

The Twilight is my Robe - 5:42 (Cool)

By the Pain I See in Others - 0:30 (Drums)

Still Life - Entire Album, Especially SPD (good call Moonlapse)

Also completely good songs are For Absent Friends, Epilogue, and Madrigal

I forgot a lot, but thats what I have noticed lately I guess.

Serenity Painted Death - 5:30 and the great guitar work to follow..rest of song too.
Dirge for November - whole song
White Cluster - whole song
Blackwater Park - 5:37 "every squirrel needs a tree" heh listen to it, you'll get it.
In My Time of Need - whole song
The Apostle in Triumph - intro
hmm, i have to agree with moonlapse on karma 0:58 is nice :worship: