Big death metal song - Recto + Recabinet = DHIADW influenced tone

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hey guys,

I posted riffs from this song in the off topic section but I didn't get many hits.

It's complete (as a composition) now, although it could still be played tighter and needs vocals and all that jazz.

How does it sound? I wasn't trying to get DHIADW guitar tone exact, but I was definitely taking influence from it - especially with the way I mad my tracks setup with Recabinet 1960 impulses, etc. I wanted to have a death metal spin on it.

I think I'm on the way to getting tone that I can USE! :lol:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1044020/Epic recto win 2.mp3

UPDATE.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1044020/Epic recto win 3.mp3

These riffs are fun to play, that's for sure.

Sounds nice!

Allthough i would lose some high end fizz on them guitars to really get that DHIADW sound.

Thanks guys. Yes, this was my 3 channel dual from the pre-amp out.

I left some of the high end fizz in there to try to make the tone sound a little more death metal. I wasn't going to achieve the DHIADW tone exactly (even if I wanted to try, I wouldn't be able to) but I think it has some of the characteristics that make it such a good tone, whilst still being different.

hey man, did you have a dummy load or a power soak plugged in? I'm really trying to do this more but I can't afford a THD or build one myself just yet.

Sounds good man! Brutal tone and playing! I think you could bring the drums up a bit. The guitars are definitely taking over the mix. (I'm often guilty of doing this since I'm a guitarist as well :devil:)

I'm a Recabinet owner as well. Which mic positions did you use here and how much EQ was done to the guitars? I've been trying to find a mic or mic combo that isn't so harsh in the mids with my Recto. I end up having to scoop the fuck out of my Recabinet tones.

The load I have plugged in is my cabinet. :lol: I just have the master volume way down and the channel volume up REALLY far.

I used the 1960 impulses from the modern pack. I recorded 2 tracks and then duplicated each take so I had 4 tracks but still only 2 performances. Then on 2 of tha tracks I put impulses that were sm57 1 inch from the grill, smack onto the cap. The other I had 2 sm57 edge45 1 inch from the grill.

Kind of like the fredman micing technique I guess you'd say?

I just had HP/LP on the tracks at the cap and I scooped out some of the mids and boosted some of the highs on the tracks that were off axis.

Dylan what channel/mode and tonestack settings are you using for this? I dig it, have a DR sitting here maybe I could fuck with for a change.

Umm, my settings have changed since I recorded it, but from memory...

Diodes/bold as per usual. Channel 2 (of a 3 channel model) on modern mode.

Bass - 10:00.
Mids - 11:00.
Treble - Just under 12:00.
Presence - Hovering around 12:00 also.

Gain was around 1:30 or 2:00 maybe?

You might bump the presence and treble up a little more than what I've said...I can't remember if they were higher or not.

I have a ZW-44 with the gain set to 0 and the output set to full as well.