" BIG " Guitars...How do you do it?

cundalini

New Metal Member
Jan 25, 2009
How do you guys get these clips on here to sound so BIG??? Like the clips from abyssofdreams, Ermz, GubbKuk... They sound frigin Awesome and no matter what I do I just cant seem to achieve those Big Radio sounding guitars. Please, Please, for the love of god could someone help me out here? I was lucky enough the be given the Waves Mercury bundle by a very good friend of mine, that plus the free VST's that you guys suggested before I got the Waves bundle. So i should be more than capable of achieving this but I'm a noob and have no idea how to even use Most of the Waves software, it's actually embarrassing cause I know a lot of guys out there that know what there doing that have to work with sub par software cause they cant afford stuff like the Waves, and here I am not even knowing what the hell Im doing....and my recordings sound like SH*t... I spent hours searching, reading on here and its gotten better but nowhere near what you guys are doing, and these a from the ... " oh, here's a 5 min clip I threw together" imagine what the finished product sounds like. I need help guys, what is it that your doing???

How do I do this?

so you are working with Waves and other vst plugs for the purposes of tracking/editing/mixing guitars ... you just need some tips and pointers to achieve that "BIG" sound for these guitars of yours ... and yet you have no idea how to post a clip?

I won't even get into what you wrote about your friend "giving" you the waves bundle

c'mon man, are you trolling?

so you are working with Waves and other vst plugs for the purposes of tracking/editing/mixing guitars ... you just need some tips and pointers to achieve that "BIG" sound for these guitars of yours ... and yet you have no idea how to post a clip?

I won't even get into what you wrote about your friend "giving" you the waves bundle

harsh :kickass:

upload your raw unprocessed mp3 file preferably to http://www.getdropbox.com so it can be heard online without having to download it

Personally I just EQ out all the "small" frequencies

joking of course. :)

can you give an example of an album that you really like the "Big" sound of?

Any album really... The Pot, Tool, would be nice. If i could just get my guitars to sound even close to any of the clips that abyssofdreams, Ermz, or GubbKuk have posted I would be super happy with that! If I knew how to go about getting those kinds of tones I could probably figure out the rest from there if needed.

depends..... for a example: you can take a new metal guitar tone (these metalcore and most modern death metal things) and try to play slow things, i'm pretty sure that will sound thinner on slow things. But generaly speaking, in my point of view, guitars sound bigger when perfectly glued on bass.

I really have to break your illusions. If you want your guitars to sound BIG AS FUCK, you don't make it with guitars. The basic thing is that if you want your guitars to sound huge, you need a bass. If you don't own one, go buy the cheapest one you can for starters. The guitar sounds are usually really thin (The first examples that came into mind is the intros of "Deftones - Head Up" and "Killswitch Engage - Self Revolution", but there are many many others), but it is the bass that makes the guitars sound huge. You will understand what I mean when you try it. Remember to record the DI-signals so you can change the settings later.

But I will quote myself here: "Many smalls elements make one big whole" - So less gain and volume, more tracks.

edit: Dom Ostarig was faster than me

I apologize for not being a pro Asshole producer like yourself for not knowing how to post a clip on here

Why do "YOU" have a problem with my friend giving me software...Do you know an of the circumstances...Uuhh no you "DONT", ding,ding,ding guess what your an asshole Again...

I dont even know what "trolling" means...

I asked for help cause Im totally new to recroding, VST's, DAW's, etc, A lot of people here a super talented and seem to want/like to help others like myself who arent PRO ASSHOLES like Yourself. If you didnt want to help me or even have something constructive to say why would you even come in here and waste your time slamming me...nothing better to do with your pathetic life...or maybe your just an Asshole...

You both beat me to it, hahaha. Im actually in the midst of picking up a cheap bass. I was going to ask this. So what Im actually hearing as the Bigness in the guitars is the bass guitar??? Also I dont have a DI box, just my interface and do all my recordings with Reaper and Vst sims and Impulses. I have a mixer, any way to utilize this?

You both beat me to it, hahaha. Im actually in the midst of picking up a cheap bass. I was going to ask this. So what Im actually hearing as the Bigness in the guitars is the bass guitar??? Also I dont have a DI box, just my interface and do all my recordings with Reaper and Vst sims and Impulses. I have a mixer, any way to utilize this?

Maybe your interface has a "instrument in"? What model is it?

I have an Maudio Delta 44 and an Maudio Fast Track usb. It does have an instrement in but how do I get the untouched Di if Im using a Vst amp sim to record an monitor through my Daw?

[offtopic]
I do agree with Skinny Viking, you shouldn't come here wawing a flag "I just pirated some software but can't use it, halp". We have in general pretty negative behaviour towards piracy. And calling people asshole (several times) doesn't make you look any better. If you do it, keep that information private. [/offtopic]

My suggestion is that learn the basics first, otherwise it would be same as you would try learn to run before you can even walk. First record all the ingredients you need for your song and then use only EQ and compressor. You can get 95% of the song done with just those two basic components.

But I would also advice to learn to use and train the most basic tool that you have for the first good few years. Your ears. It took me years to learn to listen to music productionwise, I mean it is really really hard.

I apologize for not being a pro Asshole producer like yourself for not knowing how to post a clip on here

Why do "YOU" have a problem with my friend giving me software...Do you know an of the circumstances...Uuhh no you "DONT", ding,ding,ding guess what your an asshole Again...

I asked for help cause Im totally new to recroding, VST's, DAW's, etc, A lot of people here a super talented and seem to want/like to help others like myself who arent PRO ASSHOLES like Yourself. If you didnt want to help me or even have something constructive to say why would you even come in here and waste your time slamming me...nothing better to do with your pathetic life...or maybe your just an Asshole...

Hey dude, dont bombard into this forum after a couple of posts spouting shite like that at people, especially one of our regular/knowledgeable/valued members like Skinnyviking.

Secondly, congratulations on getting the waves mercury bundle on pirate, its a pretty mean feat.

Thirdly, you're trying to run before you can walk here man. This forum is a bottomless pit of information, especially concerning guitars, just use search function and you'll uncover plenty of gems.

tip: getting a huge guitar sound has nothing to do with using waves plugs

most of it is in the player/guitar/strings/pickup/amp/settings

...in my point of view, guitars sound bigger when perfectly glued on bass.

+Infinity.

And for that one needs fuckin amazing bass skills as well. Now, I'm not really trying to underestimate you or your bassist's skills at all. I'm just pointing it out just in case. As you're probably aware, most people take the bass for granted and say "Eh, you can't hear the bass anyway. Who cares?". Bullshit.

LMAO..... Owned :headbang: