How do you go about editing guitars?

FUCK YEAH MAN! Glad to hear they are workin on a new one! one of my favorite bands hands down, and a great bunch of guys. Keep us posted if you can.

It can be tricky.

I prefer to get most of the tightness from punching in as needed, even to the point the track starts to look like a bar code. After this I'll go in and do the fine tweaks using slip editing. If I were in PT no doubt I'd be using Elastic Audio to do this which I assume would be the easiest way (as is the case with bass guitar).

On things that are super closely played together (alternate/trem picking mostly), this is true, but otherwise, slip editing on guitars is super easy and sounds... well, you can't tell you've done it, so it sounds awesome. If I cut and pasted from different takes to compose super-takes, it would've taken me like 6 days instead of the 6 hours it did to get through the new Cephalic album.

I had no idea you worked with them dude :kickass: That must be pretty fucking cool!

It can be tricky.

I prefer to get most of the tightness from punching in as needed, even to the point the track starts to look like a bar code. After this I'll go in and do the fine tweaks using slip editing. If I were in PT no doubt I'd be using Elastic Audio to do this which I assume would be the easiest way (as is the case with bass guitar).

guitarcode.png

Haha, those Engl's aren't mine. I only allowed them in the studio to show Steve how utterly and completely my amps would crush them. They were removed promptly as my mesa's were complaining about the smell. :lol:

OK, sorry Engl lovers. I just haven't found one I've really liked.

Out of all those amps the chosen few were my good ol Mesa DR and 6505. The last few albums have been all Mesa and this time we used one of Steve's PRS guitars with stock passives in it. Should have a little different feel this time.

This will be the most awesome Cephaic album ever by the way. Incredible songs.

Haha, those Engl's aren't mine. I only allowed them in the studio to show Steve how utterly and completely my amps would crush them. They were removed promptly as my mesa's were complaining about the smell. :lol:

OK, sorry Engl lovers. I just haven't found one I've really liked.

Out of all those amps the chosen few were my good ol Mesa DR and 6505. The last few albums have been all Mesa and this time we used one of Steve's PRS guitars with stock passives in it. Should have a little different feel this time.

This will be the most awesome Cephaic album ever by the way. Incredible songs.

Can't fucking wait to hear it man :D

Elastic audio on the dis once the playing is pretty much there. Sometimes it's not necessary but on super tight beatdowns or tech metal then yeh, EA all the way. I find quantizing to quarters first, then eighths then sixteenths if need be reduces the amount of manual correction needed.

I've never edited guitars. I don't like them to be "too tight". I want them to sound like two separate perfromances. I've theres some annoying string noise that happens during a part that should be silent, sure, I'll cut that out, but thats about it. If I need to cut out silence during a heavy syncopated staccatto part, I didn't play it clean enough, or theres too much amp noise, which I would rather leave in that slice out.

Yeh, I have no problems editing other peoples parts, but when it comes to my own stuff I take pride in removing gaps and that's about it. I dunno why my conscience suddenly kicks in, I guess it'd be a waste of thousands and thousand of hours practice if I just edited my shit.

Slipping isn't only for speeding things up, but it was more for take comping/silence than actual correction.

Sorry, I was still thinking in Pro Tools land where slip editing is more like region dragging so if anything is early it's a total pain getting the tail of the previous note.