BIG Problem opening Pro Tools sessions. (Compatibility)

Erik Monsonis

Nov 18, 2006
Mexico City
www.darkhouseaudio.com
Hello!!

I have a big problem, a band I'm going to mix sent me a DVD with PT sessions, but they created them in PT 6 in MAC... When I try to open the sessions, PT gives me an error:

Dibujo.jpg

If I select yes, it will load the project but will say that all the audio files are missing.

Then I try to manually or automatically relink the files with the relink option, but it never finds the files, even when I point PT to the exact folder...

I think it's because of the format of those files: they don't have any extension. I can't open them with any program, and they're definitely not wave encoded.

Does anyone know the original format of those files? Is there a way I could try to open the session?

I don't need the session, only the wave files, cuz I work on Reaper mainly, but the deadline is approaching lightning fast and I've not even been able to OPEN the files...

Thank you! ;)

PS: I've told the band to send me the plain wave files, or even OMF files, but they are a bit reluctant about it, because they're sure it HAS to work with my system too... Also they say it'd take way too much time to get me the wavs...

HELP! :lol:

Do you know anyone with a Mac-based system who would let you open the PT session and consolidate the files?

You could also try opening a new session and using "Import Session Data" from the original session to see if it'll copy the session data and audio files over.

I could open and export the wav's for you if you can upload them somewhere.

That would be amazing, but each song is like 1,7GB... and it's a full length, so I prefer them to convert it, as it was their fault, and not you or anybody trying to help me :p

Anyways... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=01XSY8T8 Here's one song.

Thanks for the help guys ;)

I'm going to try to find out more...

had the same problem once, was sd2 files on a mac. no way around it - had to borrow a mac for a few hours to consolidate and export everything.

That would be amazing, but each song is like 1,7GB... and it's a full length, so I prefer them to convert it, as it was their fault, and not you or anybody trying to help me :p

Anyways... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=01XSY8T8 Here's one song.

Thanks for the help guys ;)

I'm going to try to find out more...

"The file that you're trying to download is larger than 1 GB.
Only premium users are entitled to download files larger than 1 GB from Megaupload. Click here to buy your premium membership."

Ooooowned, sorry dude :/

Upload just the session file with no audio tracks like C_F_H_13 said and maybe him or I can just resave it with PC Compatibility enforced...

ok I tried it, and it won't let me open them which I've never had happen. it just says "this session was created on an older version of protools and cannot be opened"....

sorry can't help you.

The session could be created in a bad way by the band, you don't know...so it's not necessery a PT fault.

Exactly, it's not a PT problem.

They created a session without enforcing Mac/PC compatibility, and now (surprise) there are compatibility problems. I honestly don't know why they even make it an option anymore.

Exactly, it's not a PT problem.

They created a session without enforcing Mac/PC compatibility, and now (surprise) there are compatibility problems. I honestly don't know why they even make it an option anymore.

I don't think it even is an option anymore

think they just made it completely cross platform since PT 7